What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best font for Registration marks ?

petersb

Well Known Member
What is the best font for registration marks. I will be using 12 inch marking with a 15 degree slant, black with 1/2 inch white border.

Registration will be C-GRAR

Thanks, Peter

If the regs for font are essentially the same North of the border...

This one is exact on the line width/character width specs.

http://www.dafont.com/amarillo-usaf.font

I guess you can make it italic in your SW program.

300px-Font_Amarillo_USAF.png

not this again!??!?! :)

What is the best font for registration marks. I will be using 12 inch marking with a 15 degree slant, black with 1/2 inch white border.

Registration will be C-GRAR

Thanks, Peter

Hey Peter, I can e-mail you some examples that meet the regs. I hardly ever see any that actually conform, but it seems that almost anything legible is allowed.
send me a pm, if you'd like some ideas, it's my brand of 'fun'.

Start with an Arial font. Go to the signmaker with the specs and they will adjust the letters and spaces to exactly the specs required to meet the letter of the specification... and it will look good.

Here's an example. They can also adjust the tilt. It only takes seconds for all of this to be done in Corel Draw.

20130821_0465.JPG

As the regs say: any non-serifed font that meets the line weight and character dimensions will be acceptable.

The regs say a "roman font" which people constantly think means "Times Roman" but they mean a Roman font as opposed to a Cyrillic or Arabic font.

I used a "Rounded" style with R & L hand slant and double drop shadow from World Class Graphics. Here is a pic of the left side. World Class mounts all the colors on one sheet so you don't need to index the shadows and apply them separately. A trick I found was to apply the numbers when the surface was warm and then let the surface get cool over night. It seems to suck out any tiny bubbles that may not have squeegeed out.

Roberta:)

zlmg.jpg

Close up of double drop shadow.

qb13.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations... Yours is only the second Canadian RV i've seen whose letters meet the size requirements in the regs... :/

...AND the US regulation that if the cruise speed is 180 knots or greater, the 12" requirement applies... I don't know how they ramp check that, though.

Another trick is to put a several drops of Dawn dish washing liquid in a small spray bottle with water.

Spray down the area where the numbers will go until it is fairly damp. When you place the decal, the dishwashing liquid will let the decal slide just a little so you can get it exactly where it goes. It also makes it much easier to get small bubbles out of the decal.

When the solution evaporates there is no change to the decal adhesion. The sign shop that made my registration number told me to do it this way and it worked perfect.

:cool:

...AND the US regulation that if the cruise speed is 180 knots or greater, the 12" requirement applies... I don't know how they ramp check that, though.
Yeah, because Rockets don't really look all that fast... :rolleyes:

careful with the ornamentation....

the canadian regs clearly state that outlines, shadows etc. are NOT allowed....but of course, almost everyone has them.
So you are taking a chance that your final inspector will reject them.

perhaps some guys put the shadow on after the inspection:rolleyes:

Rob, I can't take credit, but my ship actually has 6" on the tail, and 24" underwing, so that's at least THREE aircraft here that meet the standards. ( or metric equivalent):eek:

Lots of Rockets have small reg nos, many legally. The 180kt requirement is indicated cruise airspeed.

Back