What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best five point harnesses

rgandt

I'm New Here
Am looking for a new five-point harness with rotating buckle for my RV-7. Any feedback on the products out there would be appreciated, particularly about Aero-Tuff (from Aircraft Spruce), Crow, Hooker.

With thanks,
Bob Gandt

how did you guys mount the "center" strap with the 5 point harness?? I bought the Crows system, not installed at this time... Thanks, Mark C. 9A

how did you guys mount the "center" strap with the 5 point harness?? I bought the Crows system, not installed at this time... Thanks, Mark C. 9A

Van's 5 pt kit modified just a tad... :)

5th pt. installation kit, RV-7/7A, RV-9/9A both seats
Part Number = CROTCH STRAP KIT
Price = $32.00

Last edited:
I vote Crow

RV-7build786.jpg

Hookers are the best. Period. But, at $600 a pop, I bought Crow and love them. $325 and some change for TWO sets. Yes, rotary buckle. Call him up, he knows just what you need.

Crows

I originally had the black 5-pt Van's belts in my -7A. Recently upgraded to some grey 5-pt harnesses from Crow, with rotary buckle. I love them - it is a really nice upgrade (and also now matches my interior).

My crows include sewn on shoulder pads which are nice to have. The rotary buckle is really nice quality, albeit a bit large and heavy. But you could drive over it with your car and it would never break. Now that I've had rotary buckle I would never go back. And the price on the Crows just can't be beat.

If you go this route you typically need different hole sizes in your belt anchors to accomodate Crows versus Vans versus Hooker, so it is simpler to pick your favorite during the build phase, versus upgrading later like I did. (I had to insert bushings in the crow hardware to match my original holes in the anchors).

I bought Crow and the best thing about them is you just give Don a call and he will tell you exactly what you need. The service was great and I received the belts quicker than I expected.

Last edited:
I researched Crows back in 2004 when I built my RV-8, and when I researched harnesses again this year for the -3, I went with Crows again - for all of the above reasons! All of the brands are goign to survive FAR greater crash forces than your body can - why pay way extra just for a special name? Crows are outstanding, and I love their rotary buckle.

Paul

My wife sure is glad that I have Hookers in the plane to keep me safe! :D

My wife bought me a pair of hookers for Christmas while I was building, complete with rotary latches. I love that woman!

As for which is best, the ones that you never use to save your life and if you do use them to save your life, then they are the best.

Crows in my 7A

Bob, You can check out the Crows in my 7A right here in S/C, I am in directory. Gene Ledda

Most must be better than the standard Van's.

I am not a large chap, but the belts on our 7 are very snug....

Took a guy who was 200lbs last week and he really, really had to suck in to get the Van's buckle closed.

With what has been said here - I think the 8 will have Crow's ;)

The Hookers saved my live

August '09. My emergency landing practice turned into the real thing, and left me hanging from my Hookers.
Flew this week for the first time. Repairs took 15 months, but the results were worth it!

You can order the Crow's with built in Bubba Factor!

Yes the ones Van's sell can be a challenge for larger people.

Most must be better than the standard Van's.

I am not a large chap, but the belts on our 7 are very snug....

Took a guy who was 200lbs last week and he really, really had to suck in to get the Van's buckle closed.

With what has been said here - I think the 8 will have Crow's ;)

Just curious why people make the statement "hookers are the best"? Is there a specific feature that they have that others don't? Have they been tested and shown to be stronger? or last longer?

Not trying to say they aren't...I just haven't seen anyone say why they are.

They cost alot more so they must be better right?

I think they do have some sort of aviation related certs that the Crows don't have. I might be wrong about that though. The Crows have race car certs.

Back in 2004 or so, when I was making the decision on harnesses for the -8, I did a bunch of research on seat belts and harness certs, as I was also wondering why Crow's cost so much less than Hookers. I can't find the data anymore, but I was able to trace aircraft certification back to a 1950(ish) specification, and it hadn't been changed since then. I was able to trace the race car certs back to automotive certs which were also based on the same data (back in the 50's) that the airplane stuff was based upon. The automotive and racing certs, however, had been updated numerous times since then. My conclusion was that the racing harnesses were good to much higher G's and built to quality standards that are completely up to date.

I am quite certain that Hookers are an outstanding harness, but pretty much ALL of the available harnesses are going to survive far beyond their users in a crash, so it's hard to go wrong if you're looking for safety. Then it simply becomes a question of "how much to spend for a name?"

Paul

Last edited:
In all honesty I dont know anything about Crow Harnesses. But I do know that I really liked my Hookers in the RV4 enough to purchase another set for my Rocket. I think you will find the customer service very good there as well. I dont know how the crow's come equiped but I really like the padded leg straps on the hookers. I also prefer the one lever latch over the 5 point rotary latch but thats just personal preference. Very comfortable and durable.
Ryan

The automotive and racing certs, however, had been updated numerous times since then. My conclusion was that the racing harnesses were good to much higher G's and built to quality standards that are completely up to date.

I am quite certain that Hookers are an outstanding harness, but pretty much ALL of the available harnesses are going to survive far beyond their users in a crash, so it's hard to go wrong if you're looking for safety. Then it simply becomes a question of "how much to spend for a name?"

Paul

Coming from a racing background, that's sort of what I was thinking as well. In auto racing it's basically a foregone conclusion that you're going to have to use your belts at some point. And they HAVE to work. So I don't see where they could be any less safe in an airplane than in a car. And if they're half price to boot all the better.

Back