What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Blackberry aviation software/applications?

Gregmarlow

Well Known Member
Hello,

What are the best aviation related applications or mobile internet sites for blackberrys?

Thanks,

Weathermeister

It, followed by AirNav, are the two sites I visit most often on the Blackberry. (I try to get weather and information from VAF, too, but usually end up discouraged by the need to scroll, and scroll, and scroll, and scroll through dozens of ads everytime I change the page. Hint, hint, Doug....)

I have a cool one.:cool: Just played with it this morning.
How would you like to have up to date, current, all up set of approach plates available to you in the cockpit on your blackberry? Well there is a way and its ALMOST free.
All you need is a pdf viewer and the pdf plates. Now the BB comes with a built in PDF viewer for emails, but its junk and completely unusable.

I found a usable PDF viewer with a 10 day free trial where you can try it. Buying it is $20. I recommend the over the air d/l. Then you just need so save any PDF plate onto your card and open it. I sent myself one in an email and saved it on the card. Or you could tether it to your PC and drag one over to the card.

If you want ALL the plates the FAA has to offer you for US operations, well then you will need a 4gb card in your BB, and you can get all the plates here for free as discussed in other threads.

So, for as little as $20, you can get legal, and have all the plates including airport diagrams on your phone, and have an actual way to retrieve the data you need off your phone to make an approach you might not have planned for. My experience... there are just a few pieces of information I need off a plate to shoot an approach. You can certainly get that easily off the BB screen by scrolling around. No this will not be something you would want to do if your an airline pilot everyday. But for most of us, how many approaches are we shooting? Ill do 50 a year, and less than 10 are unplanned where this would make my day if I had it.

I recommend you do the trial, put one plate on, and see if you like it. The pdf viewer has scroll and zoom ability and it is usable. Remember, these are little screens. This is not a Garmin 696 functionality! But it works just fine.

Need one plate to try? Head over to airnav and put in your favorite airport, scroll down and grab yourself a plate, save it, send it to yourself, or whatever.

If someone finds a free forever PDF viewer that they have proven works with these plate files, please lets us geeksters know.

Best,

Last edited:
I don't intend to highjack this thread, but if you mean pdas in general, I had an interesting experience. We were at Spencer Aviation trying to find the right sized washers. My friend pulled out his Iphone and put the washer on the face of the phone and measured it! It had a graphic tool you could move the curser around and measure stuff. Then he showed me a level and angle measureing tool (app) it had with 0.1 degree resolution. He said they cost $1 each.

Back