What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer wheel & brakes (full Kit)

Daniel S.

Well Known Member
Hey all-
I was wondering if anyone has any new / recent / updated experience with the Beringer wheel / brakes kit for a -7a? I'm looking at getting their whole package but it looks like the most recent info out there in "VAF Search land" is almost a year old.

Thanks all.

Hi Daniel

I've installed both main and nose gear on my RV-9A and am satisfied with the outcome.

I'm not certain the weight saving is as sinificant as they claim, but they are lighter due in some part to the tubeless tyres.

The sealed bearings are appealing to me, however, antisplat offer this as a mod to the standard units.

You will find that a modification is needed to the standard wheel spat brackets, which I haven't tackled yet.

I muzed for some time over the placement of the "anti lock device", which is really a pressure limiter and the park brake.

I would avoid choosing the brake cylinder mounted fluid reservoir option and stick with the firewall mounted unit.

Parts are readily available and the entire system lends its self to overhaul or rebuild. The pads in particular look to be of very good quality.

The appearance and quality are exquisite but this comes at a premium over the standard units.

I purchased directly from Beringer and saved several hundred euros.

Claire Beringer is a pleasure to deal with and has extensive knowledge of aviators needs.

I'm happy with taking this path for the ease of maintenance, quality, appearance and weight saving and but all this comes at a price of course

I went with a compromise setup: Beringer nosewheel and Grove mains.

What I like about the Beringer option:
1. A little less weight
2. Sealed bearings
3. Tubeless tires

However, I just couldn't rationalize doubling the cost over the Grove setup.

The Grove doesn't have sealed bearings, but they were easy to pack with grease (1st time I've packed bearings) and the felt seal looks like it'll work well. It's sandwiched between 2 shims.

i also found installing the inner tubes and tires easy. I picked up a nice set of Michelin tires.

I fitted the Grove Magnesium nose wheel when i built the 9a because it was one pound lighter. Being concerned about not having a spare for the front and liking the idea of the Beringer being tubeless I recently purchased and fitted a Beringer front wheel kit in place of the Grove.I weighed them both and they are the same weight. I like the tubeless Beringer but I'm not too sure there is enough advantage to spend the money replacing the mains!

Bob

Yeah, too bad you can't just buy the mains as just a pair of wheels. You also have to get the brake calipers, master cylinders, anti-lock setup, etc.

It is apealing to me to go with the whole beringer set up. I really want tubeless tires and sealed bearings & a parking brake. What if I'm by myself parked on a slight hill... can I really jump out & get the chaulks in place before I get rolling down hill too fast or hit something?:D

If I pull the stock wheels / brakes etc. out of the finish kit & buy the full beringer kit, I wonder what the "premium" price tag would truely end up at.

[/QUOTE]
If I pull the stock wheels / brakes etc. out of the finish kit & buy the full beringer kit, I wonder what the "premium" price tag would truely end up at.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, I've found it impossible to sell the stock set--and I have Clevelands. So...that hasn't reduced the cost of the Beringers by much for me. :D Your experience would hopefully be different.

Back