What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer wheel/brake option from Vans

bertschb

Well Known Member
Friend
Back in March Vans announced they would be adding a new option for Beringer wheels/brakes directly from the factory. It was supposed to be available in April. I contacted Vans in May and June because I wanted to add this option to my kit order and was told it would be available any day. I'm hesitant to contact Vans about this again because I know they are swamped with the laser cut parts issue.

Has anybody heard any updates on this (maybe at Osh)?

I am building an RV-10 and I received an email from them outlining the upgrade process. Perhaps they are not ready for the -14 yet, but here is the text of what I received. Pretty salty upgrade. I haven't decided whether to do it or not.

Hi,
Van’s will now be offering Beringer wheels and brakes as an option for the RV-10. To accommodate this option, we have made some adjustments between the Fuselage and the Finish kit. The complete wheel and brake system, including master cylinders, will now be part of the Fuselage Kit shipment. The Finish Kit will no longer include wheels, brakes, and associated hardware.
Your revised orders for Fuse and Finish kits are attached. The total price for both of your orders has not changed. Your Fuse Kit Price has been reduced by $500, and your finish kit by $3,995.00. We have added the standard Grove Wheel and Brake option of $4,495 to your Fuselage kit order for now.
If you would like to upgrade to the Beringer option, please select one of the following:
10 BERINGER BRAKE KIT - Complete wheel and brake set. Add $4,175
10 BERINGER BRAKE KIT PB - Complete wheel and brake set with Parking Brake. Add $4, 955
Please note the Beringer options do not include tires. You will need to source your own tubeless tires, as recommended by Beringer.
Thank you,

Thanks for that information. Very helpful!

I initially sent a PM to Greg at Vans asking about this Beringer option when he announced it in March. I didn't want to order my Fuselage and Finishing kits until that option was available on their website. He told me to just add a comment to my order letting them know I wanted the Beringer wheel and brake option and they would adjust my order accordingly. I have since received two requests for final payment on my Fuselage kit and I've replied both times telling them I didn't want to make the final payment because that would lock me in (no changes to order after final payment) and I wouldn't be able to change the order to add the Beringer option.

I also ordered the new AeroSun VXi wing tip lights in March and haven't heard anything further about those either.

I've learned being a Van's customer requires a great deal of patience :)

Wheel/Brake

I spoke with Douglas in the Beringer booth at Osh about my frustration with trying to order from Vans. He said Vans ordered 200 sets of which they could supply 85 in the near future. Said to just order direct from them as they have RV kits for our various airplanes and the price would be same or lower as what Vans would charge. So I ordered the RV14 TW set and was told 3 months on delivery. The have a very convenient order form and took less than 5 minutes start to finish. He had a stack of about 20 orders to process just from that day. Of course you still need get the brake lines from TS if you aren’t fabricating your own.
When I get the email invoice from them I will share the contact info where you can order.

Greg Beckner
RV 14A built, flown and sold
RV 14 141283 approx 40% finished

SensAIR

Don’t forget to look at the SensAIR option. Very convenient and works well. With the Michelins only need to add air every ~6 months. 400 hrs tires and brake pads, probably could have gone longer on the tires but the brake pads needed changing. (Fairly short runway at my home base).

I'm building a 14 as well and asked Vans about this at Osh this year. They stated the 10 had been updated already and they would be working on the 14 when they got back from Osh but did not provide a timeline.

Aircraft Specialty Flightlines are building the hoses for the Vans/Beringer RV10 packages, and hope to do them for the RV14/14A, when they are ready.

Tom

AeroSun VXi

I also ordered the new AeroSun VXi wing tip lights in March and haven't heard anything further about those either.

I've learned being a Van's customer requires a great deal of patience :)

I purchased the AeroSun VXi tips with my kit order in July 2022. I had not heard anything further about them since, so I inquired at the Vans booth at Osh last week. Vans had no info to offer, so I went to the AeroLEDs booth in hangar C. The AeroLEDs rep there indicated they had around 40 composite tip assemblies and 20 light assemblies prepared to ship. I was unable to qualify that status update further. That said, it isn’t an issue for me given my project’s current status. :)

Re: patience… yes indeed.

...That said, it isn’t an issue for me given my project’s current status. :)

Re: patience… yes indeed.

Thanks for the update. I'm not in a hurry either. I was just curious if they are still planning to sell them.

Back