What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beringer landing gear kit

High_Flyer

Well Known Member
Hello everyone,

I'am about to start my fuselage.
I'm interested by the Beringer landing gear/brake/park brake kit.

http://www.beringer.fr/images/NewsMot1/Kit Freinage Van's AERO 2009.pdf

It is more expensive than the Vans standard landing gear but seems to be lighter, has a parking brake included and uses Dot4 hydraulic fluid which is more standard here in France. Also for me no shipping and VAT as I live not far from the Beringer factory.
Has anyone here installed this kit from Beringer? Is it good/bad??

Thank you.
Alain.

I've been looking into Beringer for RV-3 and maybe RV-8.

Your best bet is to call in there I would think and speak to the Beringers themselves. I met them at the LAA rally here, and am sure they would be keen to help, and the kit by all reports is excellent.

I will be interested in how you get on - I do not think it will be much lighter, since they will insist, for an RV-7, the "High Energy" parts, despite the normal parts having greater energy capacity than what Vans would sell you ;)

High energy?

I will be interested in how you get on - I do not think it will be much lighter, since they will insist, for an RV-7, the "High Energy" parts, despite the normal parts having greater energy capacity than what Vans would sell you ;)

Hi Andy, what do you mean by "energy capacity"? Are you talking about the brake enegry capacity here, in other words braking ability? I didn't know that Beringer have different "energy capacity" kits.

I did call Beringer already and I'm waiting for a quote, then I will ask Vans what is the price of the parts I don't need them to ship if I go with Beringer to see the price difference. I'll ask them (Beringer) if they have different brakes for the RV-7 (low/high capacity)

I'm still looking for experience from people using the Beringer kit to see how good/bad it is.

Alain

Hi Alain

I've installed the Beringer mains and nose wheel on my RV9A and am very happy overall. I'm not certain that the installation offers the weight savings they claim, but perhaps 1-2 kgs might be accurate.

The quality of their manufacture is outstanding & I'm sure you'll be thankful for the sealed bearings in time.

Although the kit offered has fluid reservoirs on the master cylinders, I would recommend utililizing a fluid reservoir in the standard Vans location. It would be nearly impossible to access them after completing your panel and closing the front deck.

I've just finalised the location of the pressure limiting device, mounting it on top of the central bearing block on the rudder bars.

The one thing that I've not established is how to adapt the standard inboard wheel spat brackets to suit the different wheel mounts, but this shouldn't be too difficult.

The installation instructions are quite limited and I've had to speak with Beringer about the installation of the floating disc retention wire and a recommended torque setting to preload the bearings.

Yes, they are expensive, but the quality of their manufacture and the potential weight saving may ease the pain of the extra euros you will be paying

Claire is a delight to deal with and despite the logistics of having them shipped to the UK then ultimately on to Australia, I'm satisfied with my decision

Another advantage is the tubeless tires. Less likely to get flats and part of the lighter weight claims.

I've decided to go with their kit instead of Vans or Grove. Though I'm wondering if I really need the anti-lock system. I'd rather have the parking brake.

Back