What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

bent stick

i need one too. for back seat with the GH grips. the GH grips are shaped with a forward lean and hit the back seat.

I've already cut off 3" and have a canon plug on the bottom so I'm looking for a muffler shop who won't burn my wires in half since the canoe plug won't clear a bend.

I'm pretty sure it would be completely acceptable if you listed your address and and pricing info. on this website for those of us interested.

Been out all day, I don?t know what the rules are about this sort of thing, not looking to get any free advertising but thought I could help.

Frankly I never even knew this was an issue, as for price it depends on what you want to do but if you thought my idea would suite your needs it would not be expensive. I don?t have near the bending ability as I do cutting and welding, if you just want to move it back an inch or two then my solution if doing it for myself would be to make two cuts and two welds making a shallow dog leg, or one cut and one weld if you just want it to lean back. If you all can handle the refinishing your selves then these could be turned around in a couple of days. [email protected]

Russ

Bent stick story...

Russ McCutcheon said:
Been out all day, I don?t know what the rules are about this sort of thing, not looking to get any free advertising but thought I could help.

Frankly I never even knew this was an issue, as for price it depends on what you want to do but if you thought my idea would suite your needs it would not be expensive. I don?t have near the bending ability as I do cutting and welding, if you just want to move it back an inch or two then my solution if doing it for myself would be to make two cuts and two welds making a shallow dog leg, or one cut and one weld if you just want it to lean back. If you all can handle the refinishing your selves then these could be turned around in a couple of days. [email protected]

Russ
Russ, blatant commercials are prohibited, but making builders aware of valuable commercial resources is not and is one of the benefits of an online forum.

As a former RV-8 builder/pilot, and one who worked with Todd on his bent sticks, come on down to my hangar (Russ and I are hangar neighbors at KVUO) and I'll explain the need to you. I even have an early model of one of Todd's sticks left over that I'll give you.

Here's the need in a nutshell... the RV-8 stick in it's normal position is positioned too far forward and too low. It needs to be that low so as to clear the bottom of the panel. In 400 hours of flying my -8 I always felt it was sub-optimal and helped only marginally by Todd's bent stick. Welding really is the right solution. There are a couple of RV-8s locally you could take a look at for development purposes if interested. If you were to work up a pattern, test it with a few builders, and offer it for sale I think you'd sell a few. Not sure if it would be commercially viable though.

Anyway, come on down and we'll talk...

right on, Randy

Russ

Randy is correct for a lot of RV 8 flyer's. I would need it to be placed aft, AND higher if possible.
Please make one for me and I will use it and pay you for your time, and give you some feed back. I am 170 lbs and 5" 10',, so a small pilot compared to most.

Thanks

Jay

Jaypratt said:
Randy is correct for a lot of RV 8 flyer's. I would need it to be placed aft, AND higher if possible.
Please make one for me and I will use it and pay you for your time, and give you some feed back. I am 170 lbs and 5" 10',, so a small pilot compared to most.
Same height/weight as me! Guys with, ahem, larger midsections, would likely need a different configuration. You might need a "bubba" version too.

small fries

I'm 5'10 and blew thru 170 more years ago than I care to remember, but I would still like a higher "control" stick..

Hi Randy and Jay,

Yes I will build one after checking out the one you have and talking it over Randy, and then send it to you Jay to try out. I will see you soon down at the hanger Randy.

Russ

Back