What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Benefit of 2 scat hoses on rear baffle

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
I am busy with my baffles and remember this post below. What is the benefit? Easier hose routing, better cooling, easier build? Thanx Rudi

Just awaiting panel to finish up...

IMG_8736-1024x768.jpg

OshKosh this year?!

Dwight

AC

Hey Rudi-

I was forced into that layout, my FlightLine AC system moves the alternator over to the pilot side, and that interferes with the lower inlet spot normally used on that side. Was simpler just to put them both together. Routing worked fine for me, but of course, haven't flown yet.

Dwight

Space Cadet: Thanks!

Sid: It is not a cold air intake in anycase, it goes to the heat muffler.

It looks simple enough, the right side of the egine is cleaner since you dont have to worry about oil cooler hoses and ducting on the left side.

To the flyning RV10 guys that has done it the tradition way, to the front of the left air ramp, seeing this way what is your comments Pros and Cons.

Thanx
Rudi

To the flyning RV10 guys that has done it the tradition way, to the front of the left air ramp, seeing this way what is your comments Pros and Cons.

Thanx
Rudi

I like it, may change my plane over to that style.

Main reason, the left side air intake is in the way of the baffle seal, also, keeps the scat tube away from the exhaust system better.

I would be concerned about losing pressure on the upper side. Especially around the right rear cylinders.

I would be concerned about losing pressure on the upper side. Especially around the right rear cylinders.

It is a factor to be aware of as the CHT change with a drop in pressure due to stolen air at the upper baffle is measurable.

I have a 4" scat tube at #4 cylinder for remote oil cooler air and when the butterfly valve in the tube is closed (no air flow, no pressure drop) the #4 CHT drops about 20F. It is not a big deal but the difference is noted after about 10 minutes. Also, CHT's are more balanced when there is no air to the cooler.

During winter operation when cabin heat is needed and OAT is low, it matters not. But during the hot season, CHT cooling would be improved if the air to the heat exchangers could be stopped rather than just being dumped into the engine compartment at the fire wall heater valve.

The only problem with removing or shutting off the heat muff hoses in the summertime is that the heat muffs may do a meltdown. I believe that Vans recommends leaving them connected. They discuss this in the service bulletin for the RV-10 excessive tunnel temp fix....

Back