What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bending F-705K 4 degrees on a 9A How?

cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
I am just starting on the assembly of the 9A fuse and am at the 705 bulkhead. I am to make bend of 4 degrees in the 705K. I don't know how to do that. Also, how did you drill the holes in this piece and the underlying spacer?

Bending F-705K 4 degrees on a 9A How?

I bent mine in a leaf brake and it was simple to do. Any sheet metal shop will have this type of bender and will normally be happy to kink the parts for you. Just mark the bend centerline on the part and they can bend it. You should check out your local FBOs repair facility as many will have a box pan leaf brake. Besides it is a good way to meet mechanics that can offer advice when needed.

Russ

Bending the F705K

Cleve,

I tried building a wooden brake to do this and was unsuccessful. It may be possible to do but rather than waste too much time on it I went to Harbor Freight and spent $50 on a cheap brake that did the job in short order (and several more things too).

Don

Thanks Guys!
Looks like it is time for another order to Harbor Freight. Couldn't find a break long enough on the field.

cleve_thompson said:
Thanks Guys!
Looks like it is time for another order to Harbor Freight. Couldn't find a break long enough on the field.

I did mine with a soft but heavy mallet, same one used to bend the longerons. Took a lot of iterations and checking, but it looks fine.

However, if you can find a good deal on a brake, it'll probably come in handy for other things later on in the project. Ideally you would get one from the start -- that wood brake they have you build for the trim tab never worked for me.

Back