What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bending 1.5" OD aluminum tubing

Noah

Well Known Member
Need to bend up some .065 and .083 wall aluminum round tubing, 6061-T6. Need aircraft quality bends, no ripples or kinking or significant flattening. Do I need an inner mandrel bender? Hydraulic bender? Is there an easy way to do this? Hand benders don't work, nor do muffler shop benders. Anybody know where I can get a tool appropriate for this job and its approximate cost?

Thanks!

I have had to bend tubing of this size for work purposes. The equipment to do this with the quality you are asking for is way too expensive. However I have found that commercial benders can do this as you require at a reasonable cost.

In my area there are two benders one that is industrial and does very very good bends, the other started from motorcycle builders and has variable quality, some very good some not so good.

6061-T6 does not bend well, especially cold, 5052 bends much better but I do not know if it is acceptable for your application. If you use an industrial bender they can supply the heat numbers and the material certs for the tubing that you use. This may not be required for your application but can put ones mind at ease.

Bob Parry

Noah, did you try putting sand or sugar inside before performing the bend?

..just wondering. I never tried it but have heard it helps.

:confused: CJ

In a past life, I was an Ultralight dealer. Also my current bi-plane project uses 6061 tubing.
I have the high $$ benders for 1" and 1.125" but not 1.5".
Actually if you are careful and can find just the right size, a conduit bender works quite well.

Thanks for the responses guys. John, I have not yet tried the sand trick, though I have heard of it. Purchasing pre-bent pieces is not something I had considered, thanks Bob.

I wonder about buying tubing in the "O" (annealed) condition, bending it, then heat treating it after bending to the T6 temper. Is this ever done to prevent snapping the tube while bending? I would be concerned about distortion during heat treat.

Mel, I always thought conduit benders were sized for pipe, not for tubing. You're saying that you think conduit benders are avilable in this size?

Mel, I always thought conduit benders were sized for pipe, not for tubing. You're saying that you think conduit benders are available in this size?
That's correct. Conduit is typically sized by ID instead of OD, but sometimes you can find one that fits "your" tubing. I won't be listed as that size, but if it is very close, it will work.

Back