What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

belt sander

Skydiver

Those of you using belt sanders, which is the most useful, a 1" model with 6" disc or the 4X36 with 6" disc? I have already purchased (still unwrapped) a 4X36 but am having second thoughts that a 1" may be more useful.

Skydiver said:
Those of you using belt sanders, which is the most useful, a 1" model with 6" disc or the 4X36 with 6" disc? I have already purchased (still unwrapped) a 4X36 but am having second thoughts that a 1" may be more useful.

I found the 1" sanders to be so useful, that I used two of them with different belts. One had a disk and one didn't, as I seldom used the disk. My 4" sander is under the work bench......somewhere. :D

Next best tool, is my air-- 90 degree die grinder with 2" "blue" scotchbrite wheels.

L.Adamson --- RV6A, that looks good with real seats today) -Classic Aero Designs-

I like the ability to get into tight spaces the 1" belt gives you. For example...

060115_003.jpg

In the picture, I've removed the belt-guide (or whatever it's called) to allow me to press on the back of the belt with some scrap to get it to conform to the inside of the curve... clear as mud?

Last edited:
Wider=better

Without disputing the advantage of the 1" belt in tight spots such as illustrated above, I found the wide, long belt better because it allowed me to use it to bring parts down to their dimension lines (after hack sawing or band sawing) and have the surfaces come out straight/flat. I gave away the 1" model when I got the wide, long one (Harbor Frt). For inside curves, I found either hand-sanding or a little drum on a grinder or drill to be better. Just how it was for me, not a universal truth.

I have to agree that I like the 1" best. I too have 2 one inch sanders with different grits. One for shaping and the other for finishing. I use the disk occasionally but not often.

The 1" belt sander is about the single most-used tool I have. Get a 5 pack of 80 grit belts and you're set.

Brad,

Are your sanding or polishing? That looks far too pretty for a fuel tank attach bracket. You're gonna make the rest of us look bad. ; )

Scott
7A Finishing

Let me just add one more comment here... my sander has the 1" belt AND 8" disc. I find both equally useful. I typically use 80-grit on the disc for rough shaping/fabricating and 180-grit on the belt to take out (or polish :) ) the scratches the disc leaves behind. If I had to choose between the 1" belt and a 4" belt alone, it would be a tough choice. I don't think I would want to give up the cutting power that the disc or a wider belt would provide, but since you mentioned the sander also has a disc, you really aren't giving anything up IMHO. Just food for thought.

Scott, not to worry, those brackets are the ONE nice part of my project! :D

wider is better!

I have a 6" x 48" belt with 9" disc combo sander. I love using the large flat area of the belt sander to true up parts after cutting them slightly oversize with a saw. I end up with perfectly flat square parts this way. Without a doubt the 1" belt will get into some tighter spots. But I can't think of to many parts that have inside curves I couldn't get to. Heck I even use it to debur long straight edges of sheet metal parts. I just quickly hit the entire edge on both sides and then run it over the scotch bright wheel for a prefectly straight deburred edge.

Back