What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Belly art

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
Looking at some pics from the last race, I thought I need to do something that is visually stimulating on the belly of Aurora

kriscam698.jpg

Aurora was named after the Roman Goddess of Dawn and here is a pic I would like emulate. Might use some greens and purple shades to compliment the existing paint.
Aurora.jpg

So any suggestions how to accomplish this.... Air Brush? decal? Ideas for who to go to?

John Starr can do it for you.

Back in the 90s there was a Lancair called "Dream Catcher" that made the show circuit, had a flying lady motif on the belly--------I have seen a few other examples of this over the years.

Good luck,

You could talk with Grady at GLO Custom and see what he and Scott "Shark" Draper can do for you - Shark did the air brush work on Tsamsiyu.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. John does some nice work, although I probably can't afford it. Also wonder how much detail I need under there.

Fun to dream and plan though

Someone in Florida has a rv with a similiar design on the bottom.You can always tell because at flyins, there's always a group of people kneeling to view the artwork on the bottom of his plane.

Affordable

For an affordable way to decorate the underside of the plane, check this link. With a little work, it will look great! http://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Felt-Assorted-Colors-S520-12/dp/B00006IFJK
LOL!
For a real idea, you could scan the picture, in photoshop get a pretty good outline and print it out full size and use it to outline it on the plane. Printed on plain white paper on a wide format printer would be pretty cheap.(I have a printer if you need it printed) The bad part will be laying on your back under the plane doing the painting. An air brush paint gun is not very expensive and once you had the outline, you could practice right on the plane - just keep a rag with solvent close.

Remember - at the speed you are flying in that air racer of yours, people will only get a quick look at it!

thumbs up on Stahr painting

John Stahr, and more importantly perhaps, "American Angel", his RV8, will be at Oshkosh this year.

It's a really detailed, beautiful work of art, IMHO, and John may be one of the nicest guys I've ever met

Boy I remember that one.

John Starr can do it for you.

Back in the 90s there was a Lancair called "Dream Catcher" that made the show circuit, had a flying lady motif on the belly--------I have seen a few other examples of this over the years.

Good luck,

Mikes got a good memory. :) I saw that one at Osh in the early 90's. The guy had a big mirror under the plane so you could see the image.
If you have access to old Sport Aviation magazines there's a write up about it in the August 1994 edition. I remember that it was the first "over the top" paint job I ever saw and it really made an impression.:eek:

Mikes got a good memory. :) I saw that one at Osh in the early 90's. The guy had a big mirror under the plane so you could see the image.
If you have access to old Sport Aviation magazines there's a write up about it in the August 1994 edition. I remember that it was the first "over the top" paint job I ever saw and it really made an impression.:eek:

From the EAA Archives:

10pydxc.png

Trying to finish so John can paint my 7

John Stahr did paint that one, but go to his website for photos of his own RV8, which he calls "American Angel". I'm sorry I'm not finding success with posting a photo, but it is the first photo in his "gallery" section.

John painted my 8 and did some body work to help finish up. I have nothing but good things to say about working with him. You will have an epic paint job. I flew 1100 miles in a day in the middle of winter to have John paint it. Absolutely worth it!

My advice is to figure out what you are willing to pay for your paint and tell John what your budget is. In my experience, he will give you a paint job worth more than you paid.

My dad is baby sitting the 8 for me and whenever his neighbors want to show their friends a Sierra hotel airplane, they invite themselves over to look at it. Like any home builder we are more than happy to show off our machine to anyone who will let us ramble on and on about it.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1740&page=44

Angel wings on the belly

Angelbatic-web.jpg

See if you can see this image of the Angel on our belly, this is the first time I have tried to upload an image to a thread discussion....We're just about to shove off for OSH, but the WX has a different idea at the moment....

John

Back