What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bell Tailwheel Geometry

Airzen

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Do you guys think my tail wheel geometry is off? Here is the photo that I clicked today:

2hq6yw0.jpg

The reason I ask is that I came across this article and it appears my set up is not right.

http://mybearhawk.com/flying/shimmy.html

However when I see most rv aircraft they seem to have a set up similar to mine. What kind of geometry do you have?

Any insights on how to fix this?

Ashish

The RV tailwheel setup has proved to be very reliable with excellent geometry, I have the Bell fork on my RV-6. Matter of fact, I'm using an RV assembly on my present non-RV aircraft with excellent results. If an RV is assembled per plans the tailwheel will work very nicely.

It could just be the perspective in the photo exaggerating it, but yours does look tilted a little further forward than usual. For reference, I compiled a bunch of comparison photos of the different tailwheel options for RV's... All of them appear to have the pivot axis tilted forward to varying degrees... NONE are vertical or slightly aft. I know that shouldn't be ideal, and yet they're all this way...

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=693101&postcount=280

Shimmy

It does appear I have encountered two instances of shimmy while taxiing. These vibrations are more pronounced at slower speeds. Also if I tighten the rudder cables by putting some tension while taxiing, it fixed it (but it returns once I take the pressure off). Also i can keep the vibration away by slightly applying my right rudder.

Thoughts?

It does appear I have encountered two instances of shimmy while taxiing. These vibrations are more pronounced at slower speeds. Also if I tighten the rudder cables by putting some tension while taxiing, it fixed it (but it returns once I take the pressure off). Also i can keep the vibration away by slightly applying my right rudder.

Thoughts?

Airzen, please post a photo of YOUR tailwheel if the one you originally referenced isn't yours.

Rob is correct. RV tailwheels often (always?) are leaning forward a bit. Van may have made a boo-boo on the original design that has been carried forward ever since. It isn't optimal.

Back