What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Behind the panel shots

Rivethead

Well Known Member
I would love to see a few shots of how some of you installed your transponder and radio equiptment. I'm getting ready to fab a couple of brackets for mine and want to see if I'm on the right track. I'm most interested in the combination of Garmin transponder, Garmin SL-30 and an Air Gizmo for a Garmin 296 as one stack. Pictures of loose parts would be great along with sub panel installation of brackets. Thanks for any pictures in advance.

Last edited:
no pics at work but

all i did was stack them with the proper clearance and use .125 angle. then at the end of the tube i used more angle and screwed them together. i riveted them to the panel from the back side i guess you could use screws if you wanted to the remove the whole stack assembled. really nothing to this other than making all the tubes fit flush to panel. some do some dont. garmins transponder doesnt fit the same way the sl 30 does. and one tube is a touch wider.

Hello, Jim

Not sure about which parts you what to see, but here goes.

I mounted my 496 directly in the panel without the bracket.

The front of the stack penetrates the forward bulkhead and I cut to fit and placed plastic zip cord around it to keep it from chaffing.

Here you can see the zip cord install to the left of the gold box. Also notice that I added a piece of 3/4x3/4 angle under the hole to strengthen it and add support.

In this picture you can just make out the 3/4x3/4 angle on each side of the radio stack. This is secured in place from the front side with screws into the platenuts. The radios screws come through from the inside of the stack into taped holes in the angle.

Hope this helps you. You can give me a call if you want better explanation or want to come up and see my plane.

Kent Byerley
503 627-4045 (work)
503 651-3649 (home)
503 706-2618 (cell)

Last edited:
Kudos

Thank you all for your input and also to those that sent emails. Each one was a big help to me. You know a funny thing happened the other day. I was talking to a friend (another builder of many planes) and commented that I was sure glad I wasn't going to have so much wiring behind my panel.
He said "You're goin to have EGTs' and CHTs' on all cylinders those dynons got oil pressure and fuel level and you're puttin in them LASAR mags, you got outside air temp and how bout your radio and transponder" and he continued on with the list (a big list) as I sunk into my seat and realized that I have a whole lot of wiring to do. Suddenly I'm not feeling quite so smug.

Back