What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Before you buy a drill press...

ChiefPilot

Well Known Member
...consider a benchtop milling machine instead. I've used mine (purchased here: http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-BENCHTOP-MINI-MILLING-MACHINE-ALL-INCH-MINI-MILL,8102.html) for many, many tasks over the life of my -6A project and have done a number of other projects with it as well. Some of the RV tasks I've done with it include :

- Cutting the instrument panel, including round, rectangular, and polygonal holes
- Cutting the horizontal stabilizer shims to account for a slight fuselage twist: one shim is 0.125", the other shim is 0.110". The stab is perfectly level.
- Using a fly cutter for many different lighting holes, running it at under 100 RPM. The spindle speed is completely variable between 0 and 2500 RPM, and running the fly cutter at a low speed is less "sporty" than the 600 RPM minimum speed found on many low-end drill presses.
- Cutting various brackets from aluminum bar and angle stock much more precisely than could be done using a band saw and/or die grinder. The support brackets for the electric flap motor, the fuel tank support brackets, and many others.
- Cutting multiple aluminum tubing spacers to the same exact lengths. Making standoffs is trivial.
- Drilling & threading holes exactly in the center of aluminum rod (a lathe might be even better, but I digress).
- Split UMHW blocks precisely - no washer spacers needed
- Drilled holes in hardened steel without issue - at a slow speed (perhaps 200 RPM), the drill doesn't overheat and workharden the piece/dull the bit.

Brad,

Now that I'm done with my 9A, I've been thinking of getting something like this (for the next project?). I presume you have one of these - how well has it stood up (and how much work have you done on it)? Looks like a reasonable solution for a "home" machine that won't see hard use.

thanks,
greg

Brad,

Now that I'm done with my 9A, I've been thinking of getting something like this (for the next project?). I presume you have one of these - how well has it stood up (and how much work have you done on it)? Looks like a reasonable solution for a "home" machine that won't see hard use.

thanks,
greg

I've had mine since 2004 or so and have have done a number of small projects with it in addition to the RV-related items. It's held up quite well; the only things I've done to it have been the usual maintenance (lubricate etc.) although I keep thinking I'd like to add some digital readouts. Mine is the older model from the one listed; basically, the only real difference is some of the gears in mine are nylon instead of steel. No real runout on the head as of yet, which has surprised me a bit as I thought there would have been quite a bit by now.

I've had mine since 2004 or so and have have done a number of small projects with it in addition to the RV-related items. It's held up quite well; the only things I've done to it have been the usual maintenance (lubricate etc.) although I keep thinking I'd like to add some digital readouts. Mine is the older model from the one listed; basically, the only real difference is some of the gears in mine are nylon instead of steel. No real runout on the head as of yet, which has surprised me a bit as I thought there would have been quite a bit by now.

These little mills look nice. I had been looking at Taig, but like these, too. Will these machines (easily) accept digital readouts? Even on the Z-axis?

These little mills look nice. I had been looking at Taig, but like these, too. Will these machines (easily) accept digital readouts? Even on the Z-axis?

Yes - all three axis - but they are kind of pricey. About the same price as the mill, actually. That said, I can think of so many times a DRO would have been useful along with a couple of times I trashed a piece because I miscounted the number of turns. There lot's of add-ons at http://www.littlemachineshop.com - the DROs, tooling, and more as well.

Would a mill replace anything other than a drill press? Still need a band saw?

Harbor Freight has a Mini Mill that with their present 20% promotion would be $542 including tax and shipping.

I don't know a lot about mills, but it appears there may be some additional items to purchase to get it up and running, such as this Tooling Package, and a vise. ChiefPilot is correct that the Digital Readout Package (DRO) is actually more expensive than the mill itself, though as I understand it, not necessary.

I'm definitely a fan of having high quality tools that will save time and improve quality, but even with some of the positive comments above, and reading other threads, I'm having a difficult time determining the "cost/benefit" of a mill.

I'd love to hear from others who have any thoughts or experience that might be helpful.

Thanks!

Chris

Back