What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Before the top nose skin question

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
I have a slider, what do I need to remember to have done before I put the skin on above the dash area. I have the radio racks in and I have a modular dash board so I can work through the dash as needed. The fresh air vents, fuel tank vent lines,brake/rudder pedals, and fuel lines are in. What am I missing?
Thanks!

I'd think about

doing all the wiring you can, at least the BIG wires from the FWF contactors to the main or endurance busses. Also, are you going glass? I mounted my AHRS on a shelf built fwd of the sub panel, but still accessible from behind the inst. panel. Brake lines in? and how about wire runs from the inst. panel to the aft fuse and wings.

Wait as long as you can. You don't need the top front skin on until you are ready to mount the windscreen...

Have Fun. You're gonna love this plane...:D

I adjusted and installed my roll bar before riveting on the top skin. Those holes you have to drill for the center bar would be difficult with that top skin in place.

I'm getting close to putting the top skin on too. I've got mounting provisions for everything between the panel and firewall done, as well as holes for wiring. I also installed nearly everything on the firewall (battery, contactors, gascolator, sensors, wiring feedthrus, heater boxes, etc) while access was easy. All I have left is the fuel flow sensor and I think I'm going to wait for that one. I also want to mount the pitot/static distrbution blocks.

Before I put the top skin on, I'm planning on painting the interior, as well as the underside of the top skin and maybe the top side as well, inside the cabin (flat black).

I'm also thinking about drilling the engine mount holes before putting the top skin on.

Back