What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Becoming One with your Airplane....

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
No I am not talking about the perfect union of pilot and machine, effortlessly sliding down final for that smooth touchdown when you can't even tell if you've landed or not....I'm talking about those times when your body is formed around the bumps and protrusions of the fuselage/cabin; sharp, pointy things poking you in places that shouldn't be damaged, muscles straining to support yourself in some un-natural position required to turn a bolt, or remove a screw! I had this thought while checking the torque on my landing gear bolts this afternoon (a task unique to the -8 models, thankfully!).

In order to get into the bottom of the gear towers to put a socket on the appropriate nuts, I have to remove the front seat back, seat cushions, and seat belts. Then I pull the pivot bolt from the front stick so that it will lay flat on the floor. I can then slowly leverage my way down onto the floor, my head and arms up where my feet go when I am flying. Of course, in this position, the front seat ramp digs into my rib cage, the seatbelt mounts stab my legs, and with my upper body weight supported on my elbows, it is definitely NOT a position that anyone would consider even remotely comfortable. (Sure, I can take the seat ramp out, but then you have the hump of the spar, and the stick mount is till in the way....). Of course, getting into the position is less than half the battle, as trying to get a hand into the gear tower and fit a socket on the nut is a next-to-impossible task, made doable only with the right assortment of universal joints, wobble extensions, and flexible shafts - an ugly job at best, and enough to make one consider a nose-dragger on occasion!

I've spent plenty of time upside down under the panel of Louise's -6, and yes, that can be difficult - but once you install the right pillows and pads and get yourself under there, it can actually be a cozy and effective place to work. Forget working under the panel of the -8 - just remove the thing and do what you need to do on the workbench! Anyone who has put a center console in a side-by-side has experienced what an -8 driver goes through - and I can't imagine the contortions necessary to get there in a -4....the -3 must be impossible!

So what's your least favorite worksite in an RV? The tailcone can be tough, and baggage compartments shrink as you try and occupy their space. Anyone ever crawled in through the front baggage door of an -8 to free a canopy glued shut by glassing in the windshield? Prior experience as a caver is highly desirable!

Becoming one with your plane means more than knowing how to fly it well - it means leaving some blood and sweat in odd places (the blood offerings don't end when the building ends...), and enduring bruises to both the body and the ego (at times.... Oh, and watch out for those Comm antennas on the belly when you're on a creeper...they can be deadly!

I remember a day when I was working in the footwell of my -6, with nobody else around (l was a bachelor at the time), and suffered a muscle cramp which prevented me from climbing out.

I had visions of the newspaper headline: "Man trapped in experimental airplane dies in own garage.."

That gave me sufficient motivation to escape.

No matter how well I try to plan ahead, I always end up needing a tool or something after I have finally contorted myself under the panel and have attained an acceptable level of comfort.

And, of course, there is no one around to help. :(

No matter how well I try to plan ahead, I always end up needing a tool or something after I have finally contorted myself under the panel and have attained an acceptable level of comfort.

And, of course, there is no one around to help. :(

So of course the alternative is you bring in a TON of tools, they scattr all over, you can't reach them becasue your arms don't bend that way.....and THEN you discover that you STILL have to get out to get another one!!

Paul

Definitely take your cell phone when "becoming one" with your machine...a good friend got stuck and called a friend for help. :)

You didn't mention their name. Wow, you are a good friend.:p

Anyway, I was unable to do the bucking for my tail cone; fortunately I have a petite red-headed bucker. But now that the elevator pushrod is in, no one can get in there. I can barely reach my autopilot elevator servo, the transponder antenna, or the strobe power supply. And when I need to change the batteries on my ELT (or swap it out for ACK's upgrade), I'll need to sling a hammock so I can get in over the pushrod. Under the instrument panel is cake by comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha ha!

Definitely take your cell phone when "becoming one" with your machine...a good friend got stuck and called a friend for help. :)

Thats funny but I bet it wasn't at the time!

Personally upside down in the footwell in the 7a takes a deal of psyching up for me to do!

Frank

What Kyle said.....

No matter where I need to work, under the panel, behind the baggage area as soon as I get into position and start to relax and get to work, I will invariably get a cramp in my side or leg.
Almost never enough room to straighten it out.:mad:

Kent

Last edited:
And when I need to change the batteries on my ELT (or swap it out for ACK's upgrade), I'll need to sling a hammock so I can get in over the pushrod. Under the instrument panel is cake by comparison.

And don't forget you must remove the ELT and test it at each annual condition inspection per 91.207(d).

So of course the alternative is you bring in a TON of tools, they scattr all over, you can't reach them becasue your arms don't bend that way.....and THEN you discover that you STILL have to get out to get another one!!

Paul

I decided long ago that I simply wasn't going in under the panel, upside down, unless Tanya was around to hand me the tool I forgot. That has actually worked quite well with few delays. I always forget, or don't have in hand, the correct tool, and she has always been there to hand it to me. How about that! And of course, she helps come up with new four letter words just to be engaged in the "party" at hand.

Lately she has even begun to take her turn at the upside down contortion given the fact that this will eventually be HER airplane.

How did you get that???

This best is when you wife notices your bare backside coming out of the shower and asks...."How did you get that big bruise back there?"

Answer....."Do you remember the rather loud CUSS WORD CUSS WORD CUSS WORD you heard this morning....well, that's how i got it."

Yes, we become one with our plane, then it jumps up and bites you right in the keyster.

Memories

Reminds me of when I was in the rear end of the fuselage on my RV-4 vacuuming out particles from drilling I did to install a magnetometer in the rear fuselage. The wet and dry vacuum was behind me in the passenger seat. It tipped down and wedged itself between my butt and the front seat and I couldnt move. The hot air it was blowing up my butt sure wasnt comfortable.:eek:

some memories, I'd just rather forget, but I'll be back doing those bolts at least. I am proud to say that I have not gotten stuck and at least at one point I got sorta comfortable and dozed off!

cheers

And don't forget you must remove the ELT and test it at each annual condition inspection per 91.207(d).

"remove"? News to me. What would be gained over testing in place? edit: Ok, after reading the FAR, I see I'd have to remove it to look at the batteries. How do I test the crash sensor; nothing about it in my ACK manual and installation guide?

Back on topic, I discovered today that I am not small enough to get far enough under the panel to buck the last few rivets of the forward skin; the ones along the longeron. If my wife can't fit in there (and she's 5'3" petite), any of you with small children who can buck rivets? Otherwise, I'm not sure what I'll do...:confused:

Last edited:
Thanks, Kevin. I've got to sit down and read these manuals more carefully. No excuse, really.

Hey Paul,
I can tell you one big reason us -4 drivers love our -4s so much is 'cause the fuselage panel between the canopy and engine cowling is removable so getting behind the instument panel is a breeze...except for all those screws.

Glenn Wilkinson

Back