What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beam width when using H3 bulbs instead of H3C???

Brantel

Well Known Member
I flew as PIC last evening for the first time at night since 1988.....all went well.

The new HID bulbs I installed in my Duckworks rectangular fog light reflectors were H3 bulbs and the originals were H3C.

I had plenty of light last night but I would like a wider beam...

My question is will a H3 make a wider or narrower beam in a reflector made for an H3C ?

If I can get a wider beam with H3C, I will make a spacer to move the H3 aft in the reflector....

Hey Brian, Can't help you on the bulbs, but I was wondering if it was you that flew over Oak Ridge last night headed towards Morristown? I was out in the driveway sanding on my wheel pant fairings when a RV flew overhead scooting along at a good clip. It provided the motivation to finish sanding. However, after priming this afternoon, I THOUGHT I had all the pinholes filled!:mad:

Why don't you just make a spacer so that the center of the bulb is at the same place a normal h3 bulb is?

I flew as PIC last evening for the first time at night since 1988.....all went well.

The new HID bulbs I installed in my Duckworks rectangular fog light reflectors were H3 bulbs and the originals were H3C.

I had plenty of light last night but I would like a wider beam...

My question is will a H3 make a wider or narrower beam in a reflector made for an H3C ?

If I can get a wider beam with H3C, I will make a spacer to move the H3 aft in the reflector....

I had to make a spacer to move my H3 bulbs farther back into the reflector to make the beam narrower. I am using the rectangular reflector that came with the Duckworks. I made the spacer 1/4 inch and it focused the beam into an area about 6 feet wide at 20 feet in front of the wing.

If I just put the bulbs into the reflector the beam was probably 20 feet in diameter out about 20 or 30 feet in front. Much to dispersed to make any really usable light.

Hey Brian, Can't help you on the bulbs, but I was wondering if it was you that flew over Oak Ridge last night headed towards Morristown? I was out in the driveway sanding on my wheel pant fairings when a RV flew overhead scooting along at a good clip. It provided the motivation to finish sanding. However, after priming this afternoon, I THOUGHT I had all the pinholes filled!:mad:

No that was not me. I was not that far West....I was scooting along though!!!:p

I had to make a spacer to move my H3 bulbs farther back into the reflector to make the beam narrower. I am using the rectangular reflector that came with the Duckworks. I made the spacer 1/4 inch and it focused the beam into an area about 6 feet wide at 20 feet in front of the wing.

If I just put the bulbs into the reflector the beam was probably 20 feet in diameter out about 20 or 30 feet in front. Much to dispersed to make any really usable light.

Thats weird...I have too much of a spot. I want to widen it not tighten it...

Why don't you just make a spacer so that the center of the bulb is at the same place a normal h3 bulb is?

Thats what I will do if that will widen the beam. Looks like that would tighten it though which I do not want to do...

Back