What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery

dick seiders

Well Known Member
On the RV6A I built, flew, and loved, I would get a new battery every other Condition Inspection to head off unpleasent electrical experiences while flying. I don't know much about the RV12 battery, but It seems to be holding up well after 3and 1/2 yeras of use. Have we established (as a group) any parameters or rules of thumb for this critter yet?
Dick Seiders 120093

Based on a conversation I had with a Odyssey rep., the little battery in the 12 responds very well to the charge rate of the Rotax. I had the same idea on battery replacement, but it appears this is one area rarely discussed on the forum.

OK, more serious answer: every annual I do a load test with a resistance bank tester (Harbor Freight, of course!). At least it makes me feel like I'm doing something proactive.:)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I hope there is more coming. Perhaps the problem is of all the 12's flying 99% have been flying less than 4 years and no history has been created due to a lack of problems.
Dick Seiders 120093

The battery in the 12 is the same Odyssey PC680 used in many RVs, sportplanes and ultralights with Rotax engines for over a decade. I know one that is 10 years old and still in the same plane. I would think you can easily get 10 years of service out of it.

Based on a conversation I had with a Odyssey rep., the little battery in the 12 responds very well to the charge rate of the Rotax. I had the same idea on battery replacement, but it appears this is one area rarely discussed on the forum.

This conversation was spawned by a Odyssey failure in my son's race car. This car spends it's life at 8-10K rpm and consequently has a charge rate that is a bit out of the Odyssey's comfort level, thus the short life. I told him about the Rotax and he said that the battery should have a very long life under these conditions.

Back