What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery/starter FW location

Dean

I know this has been asked before but I cannot locate the exact info I need. I have an IO XP 360 engine (fuel injected) with one mag and one lightspeed. I mounted the battery as per the plans on the right side (passenger side) of the firewall. I also mounted the starter solenoid arrangement under the battery as per the plans. The FW plans from Vans are not clear at times. Before I go any further, is this correct for an RV-7A. I was about to install the heater inlet (below firewall recess) but the plans show mutliple locations. What is the correct layout for this fuel injected engine for the items that need installed on the firewall (brake res, heater inlet, battery, starter sol., etc.. Dean

Sounds like you're on the right track. You didn't mention if your engine has vertical or horizontal induction. That affects the location of the control cables and fuel line. Other than that, everything else should be fine in the standard locations. Battery on right side (left/right all relative to the plane). Master solenoid under the battery. Starter solenoid under and to the left of the master. Brake reservoir upper right corner. Cabin heat under the firewall recess.
IMG_1654.jpg

Which drawings are contradictory? Maybe it's been too long, but I don't remember too much ambiguity.

Thanks Dave, my firewall is starting to look just like yours. My engine is vertical induction. I looked closer at the drawings. The IO 360 firewall forward drwgs are labeled for the different models but all say IO 360. When I saw the different location for the solenoid and heater on the RV 8 drwg without seeing the RV 8 nomeclature, I panicked. I think I am on track now.

Can I expect the control locations to be the same for the IO 360 even though my engine is an XP 360 Superior? Dean

Dean said:
<SNIP>
Can I expect the control locations to be the same for the IO 360 even though my engine is an XP 360 Superior? Dean

Hi Dean, NO it is not:

The typical XP IO has a vertical draft FI, very similiar to the CARB Lyco. So if you have not specifically asked for a horizontal FI, it will be a vertical. I have not yet drilled mine, but I guess they will come close to the Lyco O360 locations. My Engine is bolted onto the FW, but I can see that I can drill those holes later, when everything becomes a little clearer.

If someone has actually fitted an XP IO 360 and linked the controls, maybe they can confirm if it matches the Lyco O360 control locations.

Regards
Rudi

Dave (or others),

Can you provide the lengths of the #2 cables you believe optimal for the "std" solenoid to battery and other cables?

I was getting ready to order from B&C...it seems like 12" may be tight.

THanks,
Scott

Back