What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Question

HelioJoe

Well Known Member
Need a little help trying to decide on a battery type (weight wise).

Anyone who has finished a 9A or researched the weight and balance. About ready to start the canopy but want to finish the firewall and battery location and box. Here is the question:

Large normal wet cell (heavy) or one of those narrow gel types (light). Prefer the lighter one for space/weight but unsure of the consequences yet.

Any info would be most appreciated.......Joe

Do a forum search for "Odyssey" - you'll find a lot of good information on what might arguably the most current fashionable RV battery.....light, powerful, hard to destroy!

Paul

The RV-9(A) is designed with the Odyssey 680 in mind. Why would you want to use something else?

As for the metal jacket version, the answer is no. The battery tray acts like a metal jacket, so one isn't needed. Besides, the MJ won't fit in the tray.

The 680 will spin the engine over much faster than a "normal" aviation battery, is lighter, and doesn't leak acid. All very positive reasons to use one.

Odyssy battery

I have used many an Odyssy. If I remeber corectly the last two firewall forward kit for the RV-9A have come with an Odyssy battery and tray/case.

if you are worried about not having enough UMPH, go with the Perihelion CCA2 or CCA4 battery cables.

http://www.periheliondesign.com/

I have a -9A with o-360 FP prop. I used an Odyssey style battery originally mounted as per plan but later located it at station 120, aft of the baggage compartment for CG. Even with the long battery cable to the starter, it turns the -360 at 40F without hesitation. Dan

Save the weight - Odyssey

2 years flying behind the firewall mounted Odyssey. Wouldn't even dream of going back to the standard battery. Plenty of power to start even after weeks of sitting inactive in the hangar.

No CG issues at all using it. FP Catto composite prop.

Keith
RV9A Flying
N355RV

Back