What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Mount (PC680) Nutplates...

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
The steel angle that attach to the battery box and then are bolted to the firewall come predrilled for nutplates. The drawing show that the three bolts that mount the battery box to the firewall are AN4 bolts. First, that seems like a large bolt to go through the 3/4 angle on the firewall. Edge distance will be a problem. Second, the predrilled nutplate holes on the mounting angle do not match the AN4 nutplates that came with the battery box. The spacing on the nutplates is 1", where the spacing on the holes on the angle are about 11/16". Do they make a 4N nutplate with 11/16" spacing?

Did others have the same problem. What did you do?

Did the drawing really mean to use 3N bolts? Did I get the wrong nutplates?

Thanks,
Michael-

Last edited:
Battery Box Bolts

I am pretty sure mine called out AN3 bolts or at least that is what i am sure I used for the PC680 battery box. I'll double check tomorrow and let you know if they are in fact AN4 bolts.
Pete
9A 1072
N27PP

You're right...

Wow, I have studied that diagram several times. Somehow my eyes turned that into AN4 every time. I'm so glad I checked with the forum. I can't imagine the work required to repair the firewall if I'd have drilled the wrong size hole.

Thanks!
Michael-

Most all of us have misread the plans. The lesson here is that if something doesn't seem right, to stop and figure it out before proceeding.

Excellent Mod

This is a good time to move the top battery hold down nutplates so that the battery post are forward in the battery box... thus helping with arching clearance with the firewall. :)

post clearance

Hi Reiley, Happy to have read your post about this. Never thought about that or saw any mod. Great mod. easy to do. Does the direction of the Neg and pos. change 180? obviously set up for neg on the right at this time.

Hi Reiley, Happy to have read your post about this. Never thought about that or saw any mod. Great mod. easy to do. Does the direction of the Neg and pos. change 180? obviously set up for neg on the right at this time.

Yes the post change sides, just a small wire route change and you're done. Sure helps out when getting sockets and wrenches in this area up against the firewall. :)

Put the platenuts on the aft side of the firewall. That will allow you to remove the battery box by yourself without having to get someone to crawl into the foot well.

Back