What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

battery location?

Bevan

Well Known Member
I don't have the engine and Firewall forward kit yet but would like to start planning for the general battery location. I have seen batteries mounted on the left side but want mine on the right. Is this easily doable? The following is my configuration.

RV7A
IO-360 (180 hp)
CS prop
Single battery PC680 or possibly the larger Concord 25RG

My goal is to have all wiring/components accessible for additions/maintenance by sitting in the seats. No crawling under the panel. I am 95% there with the bulk of the modules (fuse blocks, breakers, relays, wig/wag, low voltage monitor, EBUS diode, dimmers, safety trim, EIS, AOA,) located on the right side aft of the firewall. I would like the battery and ground block close by too (hence right side).

Comments appreciated from those who have batt on right side and similar engine/airframe combo.

thanks in advance.

Bevan

The PC680 box from Van's will mount on either side. I have two in my -6A, one left and one right. The right is a backup for the ignition and EFIS; way overkill but in the case of a total failure of alternator and main battery I still have essential power to make an emergency landing.

You're in good shape. Technically, the FF plans for a 7A call for the battery on the left side (as you sit in the plane) and on the right side for a taildragger. I, of course, stuck it on the right side. The plans with the finishing kit show only the PC680 location and didn't -- as I recall -- indicate that it was a taildragger configuration. But, as others have mentioned, there isn't a problem with this location with an A model.

Thanks

Thanks for the timely replies, and most of all for telling me what i wanted to hear:D Build on!!

Bevan

Back