What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery location question

jeff beckley

Well Known Member
I recieved my firewall foward kit and in it was the the smaller battery box kit.
I liked the idea of less weight over the larger battery. I installed it as per the instructions in the locations"right side" indicated along with the master and starter selinoids.
Here is the rub, upon starting the wiring kit the plans in that kit states that the battery is to be mounted on the left side and shows the full size battery used.
The plans state that the smaller battery on the right is for the tail drager version and is an optional location for the 7A.
Will I have issues with this smaller box in the current location?
I am building the 7A

jeff beckley said:
Doubt it. Unless you're putting a cinderblock in the tailcone.

I'm doing the same thing.

jeff beckley said:
I recieved my firewall foward kit and in it was the the smaller battery box kit.
I liked the idea of less weight over the larger battery. I installed it as per the instructions in the locations"right side" indicated along with the master and starter selinoids.
Here is the rub, upon starting the wiring kit the plans in that kit states that the battery is to be mounted on the left side and shows the full size battery used.
The plans state that the smaller battery on the right is for the tail drager version and is an optional location for the 7A.
I am building the 7A

Hey Jeff,
I too, am buildng the -7A and mounted the small box for the Odyssey battery. So far everything is fitting fine. The kit drawings have pretty much all the info for the various locations but you really have to dig to find some of them. It took me the better part of an hour to located the specific rivet to drill out to mount the nutplate for the firewall-to-engine ground cable. And on top of that, the drawings give you an optional point on the other side of the F/W centerline! The further you get in the build, the more ambiguous the instructions become and the more decisions you'll have to make for yourself. It's fun but sometimes intimidating, too. Good luck.

jeff beckley said:
I am building the 7A

Put your battery on the left side for a 7A.
480 Hr my 7A.

Something to Consider

I put mine on the left per the QB fuse plans. After I got into the FW-FWD kit I realized that the baffle mounted oil cooler can work out much better with the battery on the right. This is especially true if you want to either slant the cooler away from the engine a little or if you want to build an exit plenum for the air that has gone through the cooler. With the Sam James plenum & cowl, this is even more of an issue. It would also make it possible to mount the cooler on the firewall. I'm not sure, because I like having a larger, less expensive battery, but I would think about putting it on the right if I were doing it over again.
h

Last edited:
"Put your battery on the left side for a 7A.
480 Hr my 7A."
Casper. As I wrote. I already put my battery on the left as shown in the battery install sheet. Not an option to relocate unless I want to fill a lot of holes.
It was not until I opened the electrical plans that it said to install the larger box on the left. So.... Why did you suggest that I move my location to the left?

The battery location on the right side is just fine for the 7A. That's where mine is.

Roberta

wiring46ab.jpg

My battery's on the right side on my 7A. The same as you see on Roberta's setup. I have the oil cooler firewall mounted on the lower left side.
All fits well.

Back