What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Life?

Geico266

Well Known Member
I have a Concord that seems to be getting just a little weak after 7 years of faithful service.

What are other seeing for longevity of their batteries?

Yea, long story. ;)

The Concord is 3 pounds lighter than the Odyssey, but the Odyssey is $60 cheaper. Might have to upgrade. ;)

How long have the Odyssey been lasting?

Last edited:
I have 1 year on the PC925 and it is still going strong. 7 years is phenomenal performance.

I see those where those who chose the Odyssey 925 sometimes mounted it on it's side. What is the number of the battery or which side of the battery is positive? Or does it make any difference, just wire it to fit?

It looks like the battery box will need modification? Does anyone have pics of the Odyssey installed?

I know, it's just a battery mount the darn thing. :rolleyes:

I just like to see what every one else has done. ;)

I thought I had a photo, but the only one I had was without the battery in the battery box. The battery I used was the 925L, which fits in the existing tray. I believe you can get this battery with a reversed terminal option. Mine is the standard 925L with the positive terminal at the rear and pointed to the left side of the fuselage. Below is the only photo I found...

IMG_1978.jpg

They are on the side! The battery shown is the PC680, the 925 is not shown in the photo, but you can see from the power leads the terminals are indeed on the side.

I have a PC925 that I bought in 2005. It's was on the kitchen table for it's first 9 months and in the airplane for the last 1025 hours and still going strong. I do a run-down test on it every year to 11 Volts and it will still run my 12 Amp load for 1.5 hours and starts the airplane just fine, so I have no intension of replacing it just yet.

Thanks

Ray
N519RV (RV-10 40250) 1025 Hobbs.

No, It is mounted normally. The "L" configuration of the 925, has the terminals on the side. The + terminal is at the rear (of the aircraft).

I have a dual bus dual alternator system which is interconnected with a charge management relay (the black box shown) manufactured by Blue Seas Technology (P/N 7610). Both batteries can be charged from either alternator. The essential bus gets its power from the PC680 and the primary bus is the 925.

He is a picture of my PC925 mounted on it's side in my RV-10. All that I had to do is rivet in a 4" piece of angle since the 925 is smaller then the tray in length. Then I just bought longer bolts to go through the stock bracket to hold it in place.

IMG_9791.JPG

Thanks

Ray

Mine is mounted this way and I too used a piece of angle pop riveted in place to make the tray a little smaller. The stock bolts for the battery hold-down worked fine for me.

Did you mount it on it's side?

Thanks Bill! So you have a 925 & a 680 as a back up?

You can mount it on its side but not upside down.

I have a new 680 sideways in the 8 and a 8 year old on the bench from the RV 7A, both hold a charge just fine. They are very good batteries.

I have a similar 925L/680 setup as Bill's. My 925L is used for starting, 680 for powering everything on the ground and a backup starting battery. The 680's voltage will go down to less than 12V if not flown every 2-3 weeks. It powers my dual GRT keep alive circuit. The 925L is always above 12.8V.

I may look into the Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries to reduce weight as the kids grow.

http://aerovoltz.net/en/

http://www.aerolithium.com/

Just to be clear, the battery in the photo is a 925. Note the positive terminal is forward, not aft, as in the standard Concord. You can wire as shown; or, I rotated it 180 degees about the yaw axis and ran the wires over the top (seemed like less bending to me); or, the 925L battery (L for left) has the terminals reversed.

I also riveted an angle into the battery tray to shorten it lengthwise. Note that by chosing to mount that angle at the front or the rear of the tray you can make a small cg adjustment.

This is what was confusing me.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to the Odyssey 925 power. The Concord has been a good battery, but the price is $60 higher. :confused:

caution; side mount ISSUE

I should mention that after side mounting my 925 in the engine compartment, the heat caused the lid to curl, and this allows the tiny vent 'burp' caps to fall off! No harm was done, as the fluid is suspended in the mat they say, but you may want to have some kind of retainer just to ensure under all conditions...the lid STAYS ON!

Also had a Concorde in the plane, flown only 10 -15 hrs a year, seemed to still crank ok after 6 years, but the voltage was gradually dropping, so swapped for the Odyssey.

Wow, what a difference the Odyssey 925 made! The props spins like a top now! No mods needed to the box, and I had to move the cables around a little. An easy upgrade! :D

Thinking of doing the same. First Concorde lasted 5 years. Second now getting weak in less than one. Did you have to get longer bolts as one poster suggested. Have to make new wires? Thanks.

Thinking of doing the same. First Concorde lasted 5 years. Second now getting weak in less than one. Did you have to get longer bolts as one poster suggested. Have to make new wires? Thanks.

I just added 4 washers under the heads of the existing bolts. :eek: The Odyssey battery is a tad shorter than the Concord.

Back