What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery installation

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
I will install an inverted oil system in my RV-7, the tank should be on the right side of the firewall where the original plans show the battery. So the battery should go to the left. Question is can I do a mirror like installation right to left? Is there anything else to consider?

I wonder if placing the odyssey on the left (pilots) side will get in the way of the prop and possibly mixture controls?

I installed two Odyssey 680s

on the firewall of my 7A. Basically mirrored the standard location for the left side. I used the standard Van's boxes. You WILL need to move the cable locations around, but it's no big deal except the cost of custom cable lengths.

Be sure you will have room to get the batteries out of the boxes! On my "A" motor mount, I can just barely get the batteries high enough to clear the box as they touch the motor mount tube above. Tail dragger may be different.

My battery box is already in but I have wondered all along why you could not modify the box so the front was removable.

Yes, the battery box is easily modified to add piano hinge along the front corners to allow the battery to be removed from the front rather than out the top. Works well for me.
Erich

Back