What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery choices

kkmarshall

Well Known Member
My plane has an odyssey 925 fitted and cranks well except it is a bit slow to get 1st blade over. 2.5 yrs old so maybe 3-4 yrs is the life?
Are most people running the Concorde rg25xc or the Odyssey?

No.

It should last longer than that if it is properly charging. Check all of your connections. I just did a prebuy last week on a show-quality RV-10 that had been flying a couple of years and was slow to crank. I pulled back the rubber boot on the starter solenoid wire and the nut had never been tightened. It was loose by about 3 turns.

Vic

Will ck all that but it does spin normally after the 1st blade & starts fine. Just curious what battery most prefer.

I have a Odyssey 925 in my 10. Works just fine-----apx 7 years old, flying for 4 of them.

How about this one

I've used these for more than 10 years in both my Rv-8 and my RV-10.
Available at your local Ace hardware store for less than 50 bucks.
Good old fashioned lead acid battery, won't explode or catch on fire.
To be fair, I use 2 of them, one does however crank the IO-540 just fine but I opted for a 2 battery system over 2 alternators (different discussion)
I have replaced them at 5 years with no sign of weakness, just thought I got my money out of them. I still use the 10 year old ones in my tug.
Just another option for experimental aircraft.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DL7D1O...id=1411773673&sr=8-1&keywords=ub12180+battery

I've used these for more than 10 years in both my Rv-8 and my RV-10.
Available at your local Ace hardware store for less than 50 bucks.
Good old fashioned lead acid battery, won't explode or catch on fire.
To be fair, I use 2 of them, one does however crank the IO-540 just fine but I opted for a 2 battery system over 2 alternators (different discussion)
I have replaced them at 5 years with no sign of weakness, just thought I got my money out of them. I still use the 10 year old ones in my tug.
Just another option for experimental aircraft.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DL7D1O...id=1411773673&sr=8-1&keywords=ub12180+battery

This battery is the same technology (AGM) as the Odyssey PC925 and PC680. I too used a couple of these several years back before converting to a PC680.

Sometimes I think, if things don't cost a lot people think it is not worth anything.
The best part about this Universal battery , (also produced for Panasonic and other brand names) it is available at your local store.
No shipping cost!

This battery is the same technology (AGM) as the Odyssey PC925 and PC680. I too used a couple of these several years back before converting to a PC680.

Sometimes I think, if things don't cost a lot people think it is not worth anything.
The best part about this Universal battery , (also produced for Panasonic and other brand names) it is available at your local store.
No shipping cost!

Just for clarification, I still think the PC680 is a more robust battery and it gave me many more years of service than the Panasonics. But the universal batteries are indeed an additional option for warmer climes.

I attended an EAA sportair workshop on electrical systems last weekend. Dick Koehler said the battery in the empennage of my RV10 should be boxed and vented because batteries release I believe he said Hydrogen gas or acid? What do you think?

I attended an EAA sportair workshop on electrical systems last weekend. Dick Koehler said the battery in the empennage of my RV10 should be boxed and vented because batteries release I believe he said Hydrogen gas or acid? What do you think?

This is true if the battery is vented - but almost everyone is now using sealed batteries that don't vent - so he's living in the past, with certified batteries such as a Gill or Concorde.

Back