What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery choice

mnrvdude

I'm New Here
Just throwing it out there for some advise. What's a good battery choice for an RV-8 rear installation? Don't need inverted capability but is gel still a good choice? What's a good brand? Don't want to pay top $ but want good quality.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Bob, welcome to VAF:D

(Sorry I missed your first post in the rubber duckie thread)

Good to have you here.

For my $$$ I would go with Odyssey. Many sizes to choose from, pick the one that will work for you.

I have a 925 and a 680 in the read of my 10, starts the 540 just fine on the 925 only.

The "thread" consensus

seems to be the 680. I have it installed on my ?8? and thus far it performs well. My only beef is that the charger (you must use a Odyssey charger to be compliant with?.something that demands compliance). It takes a long time to charge the battery and I suppose that?s by design to extend its life. However, I have a B&C battery in my Skybolt and I abuse the devil out of that and they last at least 5 years. So why didn?t I use the B&C? I like the footprint of the 680 better.
Don

I have had great service from the compact, Odyssey PC680. This unit is 7 years old and has been maintained with a wallmart batt maintainer. It is sealed which is nice for several reasons. It still starts my IO-360 every time, even in this winter's temps at 7 years old. I will get another one for sure.

Try these

Had 2 of these in my 8 for 5 years.
They were Panasonic 18amp then and now I use 2 of these in my RV-10, bought from the local ACE hardware store.
They work great, I don't understand why everybody thinks you have to pay $150 to get a good battery.
BTW, I changed them at 5 years not because they didn't work anymore, just because I felt better with a couple of new ones.
ref=asc_df_B001G8FY381954916

Walmart

I use the Walmart Lawn mower batteries with 280 CCA. They last 3 years and cost $26.00. They will crank my 0-360 when the temps are in the 20's with no pre-heat.

Back