What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

basic fiberglass kit?

bill.hutchison

Well Known Member
Whilst making some repairs during the CI, I decided to run with the new FAB airbox kit for the RV, both because my airbox/baseplate were a little worse for wear and I thought it would be a nice little project to learn some fiberglass and practice riveting skills.

If you have an A-model RV, you have to cut a piece out of the airbox to clear the nose strut, then do some layup to patch it.

So I need to get some basic fiberglass materials - nothing fancy, just enough to do this. Is there a recommended inclusive kit out there? My hangar neighbor with a LongEze suggested a boat patch kit from Amazon. Would that work? Is there something better?

After I do this, I'm going to attempt some lower-cowl repairs that I had posted about late last year, but figured this was a good way to get my feet wet, so to speak.

Thanks!

-b

Fiberglass

Whilst making some repairs during the CI, I decided to run with the new FAB airbox kit for the RV, both because my airbox/baseplate were a little worse for wear and I thought it would be a nice little project to learn some fiberglass and practice riveting skills.

If you have an A-model RV, you have to cut a piece out of the airbox to clear the nose strut, then do some layup to patch it.

So I need to get some basic fiberglass materials - nothing fancy, just enough to do this. Is there a recommended inclusive kit out there? My hangar neighbor with a LongEze suggested a boat patch kit from Amazon. Would that work? Is there something better?

After I do this, I'm going to attempt some lower-cowl repairs that I had posted about late last year, but figured this was a good way to get my feet wet, so to speak.

Thanks!

-b

This would be the VAF reference for Fiberglass work. Dan is the expert.
https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=22931

I wrote an article or two for Kitplanes. There's a list. You can adjust quantites down.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XQHglCjsu62Pha6aqjhjmUNTn1HXgUrt/view?usp=sharing

Back