What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Barn building

Spindrift

Well Known Member
Barn building -- need a measurement

Hi all,

I'm about to build a 12'x16' shed to house my project and need to know how wide the gear on a 7A is, tire to tire from the outside edges. In other words, how wide does the door need to be to roll the fuselage through? Based on the plans showing 6'8" between tire centerlines, I'm guessing at least 7'2" or so, but I want it to be a fairly tight fit so the doors don't look too wide relative to the overall structure. Most work will actually be done in the garage, but I might have occasion to stash the rolling fuselage in the shed.

Thanks,
bill
RV7A, tail 95% done, QB due in January

PS Anyone in Portland want to help with a barn raising the 26-28th? I'll provide beer & pizza... and a guest pass to the Nike employee store. ;)

Last edited:
What to measure?

I'b building my -8 in my garage and the widest part is the horiz. stabilizer, not the gear (at least currently, w/out the engine weight); you may want to measure that as well. I currently have the tail off, but have had occasion to move the plane in/out several times with the tail feathers on.

Harold

Good point, but

Good point Harold. However, I know the shed will be too small to house the fuselage with the tail on. I'm mainly building it to house the QB fuselage while I'm working on the wings & visa versa, and to store other stuff to completely free up the 2nd garage bay so my wife can still park in the 1st bay. By the time I get to the point where the tail is mounted, it will stay in the garage. Most likely I won't have reason to put it in the shed once the gear is on, but just in case I figured it was worth having the door large enough.

Surely someone out there can take a quick measurement of their 7A gear width!

Thanks in advance,
bill

Bill

About 6' 8" middle tire starboard to port. With wheel pants about 8 feet. Plans are right on!!!!! as usual.

Frank @ sgu and slc

Thanks

Frank,

What about from the outer edges of the tires without wheel pants? That's the number I need since the doorway will only be used well before wheel pants go on. Or, how wide are the tires, then I can calculate how much to add to the 6'8"?

--b ill

Plywood

Why not just build the doors 8 ft wide and then u can use 2 sheets of plywood for the doors. Im guessing your putting the gable side as the 12 ft side and the 16 ft side is your bearing wall aye? :)

I needed to know the same info, so I'd know if it would fit onto a standard auto transporter, for when it's time to go to the airport. I measured 90" on mine, with engine installed. You might want to add an inch or 2 to the opening, just to make things easier.

Bummer, but thanks...

brian said:
I measured 90" on mine, with engine installed. You might want to add an inch or 2 to the opening, just to make things easier.

Didn't see this until it was too late, so I'm going to be cutting it VERY close. I chose to make it 8' minus the 2 4x4's that frame the door, so it's 89." Hopefully when the time comes I can rock it back and forth to get it through, otherwise I'll have to notch out the 4x4's to fit the axles through.

Happy New Year!

Shed door size

Why don't you make the door wide enough to put your wife's car in the shed and keep building in the garage?

DWC7A
Building Tanks, Quick-build fuse waiting on me

Back