What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Band saw table modifications

I’m setting up my shop and lucked out to receive a free, working band saw.
However, the table is all rust covered and so you can’t slide anything easily or smoothly across the surface, especially a piece of aluminum.

I was told, or maybe read something, about people modifying the table for aircraft building. Maybe it was a wooden guide table clamped to the metal band saw table? But now I can’t find any mention of that despite quite a bit of searching.

Anyone have some suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_5150.jpg
    IMG_5150.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 102
WD-40 and a ~#7447 purple scotchbrite abrasive pad will clean it up pretty good. Then car wax, bees wax, or melt on some candle wax, or the like will slick up the surface.

Sacrificial top

Cut a piece of furniture grade plywood or MDF to the dimension of the table top (roughly 12"x12"), Turn the saw on, center the piece on the table and then push it through the saw until the wood is now perfectly overtop the whole table and stop. Use some clamps to hold it in place. You now have a smooth surface and a zero tolerance throat plate so your aluminum is supported to the maximum extent possible while passing through the blade.

Move the clamps as needed if they interfere with cutting large parts. You'll lose use of a mitre gauge and fence but I have found I do all my band saw cutting free hand anyway and clean up edges on the belt sander and 3M wheel.

Band saw

I would remove the deck, wet sand with a flat steel and oil to 400 then polish it. Or just buy a replacement

table

As previous poster have said, scotchbrite and some wd-40 to clean it. Then apply a wax of some sort; I prefer the dry wax product made by Bostitch.

As far as using a wood top, be careful. Chips from cutting metal can and do get lodged in the wood top and will score and scratch future parts if not removed.

Using a masonite hardboard overlay can alleviate this problem, however, it is intolerant of moisture and lubricants.

IMO, reconditioning the metal table is the best way to go, and it does not take very long to accomplish.

What is way more important than the simple rust removal is a proper blade, and good tension and wheel adjustment. Then adjust the guides last.

Use the lowest speed....and it may be too fast. Do your research, and it will be a valuable tool for your build and many other projects.

Blade Speed for Aluminum

Recommended blade speed for Aluminum is 1000 sfpm (Surface Feet Per Minute).
You have to do the math, but most bandsaws are not set up to go this slow (they are usually around 3000 sfpm - if set up for wood).

I am not saying you can't cut at a higher speed - you can; but, the quality and longevity of your blade will be challenged.

HFS

Well that was much easier than I thought it could be…

Thanks for the help and insight!

Attachments

• IMG_5157.jpg
    IMG_5157.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 81
Well that was much easier than I thought it could be…

Good Job!
Good wax is next.
I bought an all beeswax toilet setting ring. It needs to be buffed into the steel with a pad of some sort. Works well to lube screws for their first trip into a nutplate (plate nut) also.

Wipe down with a thin oil, is all that's needed.

Waxes with silicone will make it hard to paint the finished part.

Now get a task light on a flex shaft or clip so the blade cutting area can be lit.

Back