What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Band Saw question...

danielhv

Well Known Member
Im still buying my tools and such... next on the list is a band saw... I have seen some that are strictly vertical, and some that can switch from vertical to horizontal... My question is, is that a consideration? I was going to get one of these but dont want to buy something that isnt going to do everything I need!

saw3.jpg

Yes

That's the model I have....

Should be able to do 98% of the stuff needed on a RV... the remainder can be done with a 2" cut-off wheel in a Dremel....:)

The sequence I use...

1. Cut on band saw.
2. Sand to finish line on 1 inch bench mounted sander - a bit bigger one here would be better..:)
3. Polish to smooth on a Scotchbrite wheel on a 6 inch bench grinder.

Quick and easy... and good final results...

gil A

delta

What Gil said!
I own this model as well. I think my blade is 3/8" x 14tpi.
A good wood working, fine tooth blade will serve you well.
good luck

Mine hasn't left the vertical position.

Oddly enough, I accidently dulled my blade the other day and since then my cuts have been awesome!

Before, the blade was so sharp it would wander all over the place. Now it's straight as an arrow.

I think I'll dull my next new blade too. :)

Im still buying my tools and such... next on the list is a band saw...
Like any tool purchase, you get what you pay for. I am not a fan of bench mounted bandsaws because they are inherently light and just cannot do what I routinely ask a bandsaw to do. My interests include home projects that go beyond aircraft construction, but I can't imagine building an airplane without a bandsaw as I consider its utility to be mandatory. To me, throat depth is a very important consideration because the deeper the throat the larger the material size it can handle. My Craftsman 1 HP model sports a 12" depth and I sometimes wish it was even deeper! This can be important when outlining a part on a piece of irregularily sized stock. I use the tilt table function with some regularity though mostly when working with wood so I do value its utility. To insure a straight cut in metal or wood, I clamp a piece of angle iron to the table to serve as a fence. If you think of a good bandsaw as a lifetime purchase, I'd buy as high a quality one as I could afford. The more you use it, the more things you can think to use it for. Over the years, a quality bandsaw will serve you well in a variety of tasks.....long after the RV is built.

Like any tool purchase, you get what you pay for. I am not a fan of bench mounted bandsaws because they are inherently light and just cannot do what I routinely ask a bandsaw to do.

I have many wood working tools, and a large band saw as well. However, I used my "cheapie" bench mounted Delta unit for RV construction, and lots of aluminum dust. The cutoff wheel in an air powered die grinder took care of any long stuff.

The plane is done & the Delta has held up, for more abuse! :D

So, IMO, either will work; and it depends if you want something larger for the long run...

L.Adamson

Daniel,

I had my -8 preview plans for almost 9 months "gathering the tools". I finally ordered the emp kit and within 3 weeks had the emp kit done. I have still not purchased a band saw, though I am still looking. The band saw would have been nice cutting the stiffners, but the tin snip's work great after gettng the hang of it on some scrap al. I had hanging around. So don"t put off the kit for a band saw. Order the emp kit and start pounding rivets. Oh and I do like the Sears but waiting for it to go on sale.

Wife says I can order the wings after Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Metal Shear instead?

I have a full size band saw but see very little use for it - building an F1-EVO. In fact I don't even have it in my shop. What I do find invaluable for cutting is a 48" metal shear I picked up used for a few hundred dollars. Cuts a beautiful straight edge without burring. I had to use up some very precious shop space for this but wouldn't be without it now.

The band saw would have been nice cutting the stiffners, but the tin snip's work great after gettng the hang of it on some scrap al. I had hanging around.

One of the first tools I got even before I picked up my kit was a band saw. I found it indispensible for the stiffeners. Here's how I used mine:
http://www.rv8alog.com/empennage/rudder/r1.htm

Get a high TPI (teeth per inch) blade. Before I did that I couldn't get a straight cut to save my life. Here's what I bought. I wrote something about the blades I got if you follow the link here:

http://www.rv8alog.com/shop/powertools.htm

Be careful using the blade on fiberglass parts. As with your drills, it only takes a single cut and the blade is dull forever. I learned this on my first blade, which now is used exclusively for fiberglass.

greg

Back