What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage tiedown

java

Well Known Member
I'm interested to know what people have done in terms of baggage tiedown (pictures greatly appreciated).

Van shows "optional" tiedown eyelets (drawing 29, detail D) at the top of 705. I have trouble envisioning how this could be effective tying anything down.

I was thinking of four tiedown spots, on each corner of the baggage area floor. From there I could attach a net or tie straps as required.

What have you done?

There was a thread a while back about this. You might want to try a search. There were a lot of different good ideas.

Jase:

In September, I will have been flying my RV-6 for ten years. It had 1,986 hours on the hobbs when I put it away today. I have traveled as far north as Fort Yukon Alaska and as far east as the Bahamas. It has been from the lower 48 states to Canada three times.

I do not have any baggage tiedowns. I have used motorcyle bungie cords several times to hold stuff in postion. I would hook them on the seats or the bulkheads to hold stuff. Most of the time there are NO tiedown straps or bungies holding stuff down.

I have seen 5.5 G turbulence on one trip. I also got bounced around 20 to 30 miles from some thunderstorms. Again with no bagage tie downs.

When I am down for engine work in September, I am thinking about adding some bagage tie downs. Not sure I really need them as I have haulled everything that I think I would ever want in an airplane. I have carried skis for a ski trip and delivered a wood prop to a friend once. BTW. The prop was bungie cord tied down in the passagener seat.

My solution...

I made some brackets for the corners that attach to the substructure in the corners (photo links below). They have a platenut behind them for an AN4 bolt. I bought some tiedown straps from the aviation aisle of the local hardware store, removed the big heavy hooks, and put gromets throught the ends of the straps.

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~glaesers/RV7A/Graphics/DSCN2192.JPG
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~glaesers/RV7A/Graphics/DSCN2193.JPG
http://www.wideopenwest.com/~glaesers/RV7A/Graphics/DSCN2194.JPG

When I am down for engine work in September, I am thinking about adding some bagage tie downs. Not sure I really need them as I have haulled everything that I think I would ever want in an airplane. I have carried skis for a ski trip and delivered a wood prop to a friend once. BTW. The prop was bungie cord tied down in the passagener seat.
I don't think a lack of need for baggage tie downs up to now is the right justification for not having them. It's a bit like deciding that seat belts and air bags in cars are useless because you have never been in an accident.

If you ever have the misfortune to have a ground accident, having heavy items properly tied down could make the difference between life and death.

dpansier said:
I plan to install four of these on the baggage floor in my RV7. The quality is as good or better than the ones I purchased from Cessna for a whole lot more $$$.
The weight is 2.9 OZ total for the two pc assembly, base and tie down ring.
I got them from http://pitposse.stores.yahoo.net/noname75.html
Photo attached
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2883/dsc00308tl3.jpg

Don
RV-7
Finish Kit

I have used these in my pickup for years--------very handy. Only difference is I have longer base strips, allows for more places to install the rings.

You can purchase them at most stores that cater to the 4WD and PU crowd.

Lengths from 6" to 5', cut off what you need, should be able to save a few $$ that way.

Mike

For the budget minded

I like the idea of having baggage tiedown hardpoints in both the front and rear baggage area of my RV-8.

When I priced it out total cost for the ones from Vans, it was $$$.$$.

Time to implement plan B.

Like others, I scoured the aviation isles of the local Home Depot and spent less than $5.00 for materials that allowed me to build 12 tie down rings.

The top side

budgettiedowns001ym3.jpg

Doubler on the back side

budgettiedowns002zg8.jpg

I plan on using a net with some bungee cords to secure items in the baggage area.

-Mike Draper
RV-8 Finish

java said:
Van shows "optional" tiedown eyelets (drawing 29, detail D) at the top of 705. I have trouble envisioning how this could be effective tying anything down.
I too was confused how this could possibly be useful, until I realized that Van's intention for having you put nutplates for tiedown rings there is not so you can secure your luggage. Rather, it is so you can remove the tiedown rings from the bottom of the wings and thread them into nutplates in the baggage compartment after you untie the airplane. I wonder if nosedraggers need a third nutplate to hold the tail tiedown? :)

Me, I decided if I ever get so ate up about that last knot of speed that I decide to remove the tiedowns on a regular basis, I'll just chuck them into a map pocket or something. I bought some tiedown eyes similar to those mentioned above that I'll probably make provisions for in the baggage compartment.

mcb

mburch said:
Me, I decided if I ever get so ate up about that last knot of speed that I decide to remove the tiedowns on a regular basis, I'll just chuck them into a map pocket or something. I bought some tiedown eyes similar to those mentioned above that I'll probably make provisions for in the baggage compartment.
My tiedown rings haven't once seen the slipstream (in the Mooneys or the RV). They live in a pouch in my tool bag, reachable when I'm outside the plane. If you're ok with tiedown rings hanging out in the breeze, you may as well use universal head rivets all over your airframe! :rolleyes:

dan said:
My tiedown rings haven't once seen the slipstream (in the Mooneys or the RV). They live in a pouch in my tool bag, reachable when I'm outside the plane. If you're ok with tiedown rings hanging out in the breeze, you may as well use universal head rivets all over your airframe!
Well, you could be right... my last RV was Subaru powered so I'm not used to thinking about these blazing speeds! ;)

mcb

RV6_flyer said:
Jase:
I have carried skis for a ski trip and delivered a wood prop to a friend once. BTW. The prop was bungie cord tied down in the passagener seat.

Hi Gary,
Great talking to you last week.
Do you have any pictures of your tie downs for your skiis?
Not much snow hear in FL, but it's a short trip to NC.
I was planning on a piano hinge on the upper half of the baggage door along with a hammock of some sort.

Unfortunately I did not have a digital camera back when I was building and do not have a lot of photos. (do not know where I put most of the ones I took)

There are photos http://www.vansairforce.net/rv_travel/GarySobek/GarySobekSkiTrip.htm but it does not show the construction details.

Construction details should be somewhere in the Matronics archive. There is a 3/4 X 3/4 X 1/8 angle bolted accross the front that has a canablilized "Hatch Back" ski rack where I placed the vertical post with rubber hold downs on the aluminum cross piece. I did use about a 6" short piece of angle running up on about a 45 degree angle from the longeron on both sides to a long angle that ran accross the aircraft. It attached on both sides to the pieces described above and then to the vertical part of the bulkhead.

The tails of the skis are suppoted on another 3/4 X 3/4 X 1/8 angle bolted between the longernons. I used 0.025 angle to make a tail hold down on the horzintal crosspiece.

Back