What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage door soundproofing

romper

I am working on the baggage door area .Heard somewhere that the baggage door area should be soundproofed,
Has anyone done this ?? And if so, how and when.
The Van's instructions don't mention anything about this.
Thanks, Ineke:)

I did

This was the only area I've soundproofed. You'll read lots of good info on soundproofing on VAF. Bottom line, real soundproofing requires mass, and I would rather build light and buy good headsets. However, this area looked like a drum to me so I built up some of the soundproofing foam mat (don't recall the brand) so it exactly filled the space between the door pieces, only about 8" square, to deaden sound in that drum and also stabilize it a little. Might have been a waste of time, but that's what I did. Probably not a big deal either way. Good thing is, it's your call!

We used a complete Soundown kit for the entire cockpit. I've only flown in the Van's Demo other than ours and assume the demo had no sound insulation. I expected ours to be quieter than it is. Don't know if I would go thru the expence and weight if I were to to it over.
To insulate the bagage door just find some sound insulation and install it before reviting on the inside cover.
Ron

You'll find that many folks have put insulation in both the floors and side walls, to include the baggage door.

When you carpet or trim the baggage area do the door. I think you will be chasing ghosts IMHO.

DB:cool:

baggage door soundproofing

This was the only area I've soundproofed. You'll read lots of good info on soundproofing on VAF. Bottom line, real soundproofing requires mass, and I would rather build light and buy good headsets. However, this area looked like a drum to me so I built up some of the soundproofing foam mat (don't recall the brand) so it exactly filled the space between the door pieces, only about 8" square, to deaden sound in that drum and also stabilize it a little. Might have been a waste of time, but that's what I did. Probably not a big deal either way. Good thing is, it's your call!

Thanks for your reply. I also found this area to be lika a drum. I found some
one inch foam padding at an Arts & Craft shop that fits in there perfectly
and weigh 2 ounces. Appreciate your input. Ineke

baggage door insulation

You'll find that many folks have put insulation in both the floors and side walls, to include the baggage door.

Thanks for your input. Had not thought about insulating the floors and
sidewall. Seems like a real good idea. Thanks. Ineke

I would sure think hard regarding the flamability of the product you are using, regardless of it's location. Both Aircraft spruce and Wicks have products which pass the FAR Flammability test. You can test the product yourself, just google FAR 25.853 (a)

One other thought

As I recall now, I also was concerned about the ultimate fate of whatever I put in the floors, which are for all practical purposes inaccessible after you close them up. With age, vibration, moisture, etc, I had visions of foam or whatever becoming brittle or holding moisture or all sorts of bad things, I didn't soundproof the floors.

No soundproofing anywhere...Lightspeed Zulus on our heads

I am insulating aft side of firewall(I guess that is also soundproofing but not my main goal) and bottom front area of tunnel. Using 1/8" fiberfrax ACS# 05-02679. It worked on spacecraft and I am considering a trip to Mars after my 40 hrs is flown off.

Back