What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage Door Sensor?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
Is anyone using a door sensor to show if the baggage door is open on an EFIS or Annunciator panel? If so, what kind of switch are you using?

I'm using a small magnetic switch I picked up at Radio Shack. I don't have any part numbers or anything, but it is a very common, simple, magnetic switch. Works great.

Is anyone using a door sensor to show if the baggage door is open on an EFIS or Annunciator panel? If so, what kind of switch are you using?

I'm not aware of anyone that has done that, but it should be pretty simple to rig up. Just put a contact switch in the door jam that closes when the door is closed.

My personal opinion is that it's probably not worth the effort. Worse case is you'll hear the banging on the roll and can abort take off. It may not even bang, it may stay closed after a certain air speed. It really isn't a safety issue like the main doors.

bob

Baggage door

When I was a college line boy, we had a Cherokee with a family forget to latch their baggage door.When they took off and turned out, all their luggage fell into a shopping center parking lot.

I'm going to be using an automotive-style sealed microswitch. I agree with Bob that it should be a non-issue but it's easy to install now so why not?

When I was a college line boy, we had a Cherokee with a family forget to latch their baggage door.When they took off and turned out, all their luggage fell into a shopping center parking lot.

Another reason to make coordinated turns :)

baggage door sensor

I used one of the sensors that came with the -10 kit for the doors. It's the same setup in a sense. The magnet is glued to the door and the sensor picks up when it's open. I also have a spring on the door that keeps the door open so technically I should know when the door is left open, but assuming I forget the EFIS tells me.
There was a Citation in Van Nuys that left the front baggage door open, things fell out and the plane soon after fell to the ground. In the -10 case there is no saying the door is loose amd opens in flight and scares me to hear the sudden noise, seeing the annuciator tell me "Baggage Door" will immediately let me know what the issue is and not to panic.
Once I got the sensor to read correctly it was easy to do.

Lights

Using mag switch as others have suggested. Using mine to turn on interior lights, just like on a car.

Dwight

You can do all that, but I can assure you that you can fly a long way with many light and easily lost items right at the door, and not lose them because some dopey head forgets to lock the door.

Don't ask :eek:

Fortunately the airflow from the prop keeps the door closed. A counter rotating engine might not :eek:

I'm going to be using an automotive-style sealed microswitch. I agree with Bob that it should be a non-issue but it's easy to install now so why not?

Because it adds weight. Light airplanes perform better than heavy ones and can carry more payload.

Dave

Because it adds weight. Light airplanes perform better than heavy ones and can carry more payload.

Dave

Oh, yeah? Let's see your light little RV carry as much as a B747! :p

Ok, just kidding. I agree with your point. But there are trade-offs. I think the weight of a microswitch and, say, 20 feet of 22 ga wire is negligible.

The more I think about it the less I think I'd install it.

Once people are strapped in and the engine is started you'd need to shut down and unstrap and go out to close it. You wouldn't take off with the door open. So the last thing to do before climbing aboard is make a quick check of the various doors and access panels.

In fact, except for things that you open during preflight, all door-open events occur BEFORE preflight. Preflight verifies that the plane is buttoned up. Then you supervise the boarding.

The only way to keep weight down is not to install things.

Dave

baggage door sensor

I am using the same key in the bag door as the ignition switch. You can't start the engine with the key in the bag door, and you can't remove the key without locking the door!
Chris Hukill

Sweet... where'd you get the lock that does this?

ACS sells a starter key and door locks that are keyed the same.

The bad news is that they are targeted for a single door aircraft. If you want locks for both doors and the baggage door, you'll have to order another package of two locks. This additional package has to be customed ordered to get all the locks keyed the same. They aren't too expensive and it only takes a few days longer. They're dropped shipped from the vendor.

The good news is that these locks are shorter than the ones supplied by folks like iflyrv10.com. The iflyrv10 locks are too long and will protrude through the door interior.

bob

Bob, I have the ACS baggage lock, and with that one, you can remove the key in the "open" position. I was hoping the previous poster had a lock that did not allow you to remove the key while open.

-Rob

I was thinking about this a little bit last night.

If you do decide use a switch for the door, I'd be sure to buy one with a strong enough spring to open the door if it's unlocked. Otherwise an unlocked door that is pushed closed (or blown closed by prop blast) could give you a locked indication when it really isn't.

A strong spring in the switch would push the door open and give you an unlocked indication.

Just a thought.

No - I'm not installing one.

I was thinking about this a little bit last night.

If you do decide use a switch for the door, I'd be sure to buy one with a strong enough spring to open the door if it's unlocked. Otherwise an unlocked door that is pushed closed (or blown closed by prop blast) could give you a locked indication when it really isn't.

Or you can get something like this to keep your door open:

baggage1.jpg

Back