What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

baggage door lock

blahphish

Well Known Member
Has anyone had trouble with the lock arm not being quite long enough for the baggage door? I bought the a-510-2k ignition switch that comes with the baggage+door lock from Spruce. The arm is 1 5/8" long but only about 1 or maybe 2/16" catches the actual door frame. Maybe this is normal but it just doesnt seem very sturdy.

BaggageLock.jpg

Baggage lock

If I recall right, there was a long arm as well as short- either two arms were included in the bag lock, or maybe the fuse kit itself had a long arm included- I remember having the same thought, and after installing the shorter one, "found" the longer.... Look in fuse inventory...

Phil
SLC
RV-10 finishing, engine shipping this week!

Don't get too excited...... The lock in the fuse kit doesn't fit the spindle on the door lock - apparantly the lock was changed a couple of years ago. I ended up cutting both pieces and welding them together to make a lock that worked. Don't ask me why VANS haven't sorted it out. I asked them, they sent me what I thought was going to be the answer but turned out to be a couple of silly bits of aluminium from /for who knows where.

Maybe VANS does have it sorted out now. Mine went together just fine without any modifications.

baggage lock

I bought my lock(s) from Home depot cabinet department, I used the arm from Vans fusellage kit and it fit with no issues.
For anyone out there who needs the locks, save the money the ones at Lowes/HD are the same "aircraft" quality as the Spruce ones. Keys are easier to get made too!

Actually, i found the ones from Home Depot were of BETTER quality than the matching ignition and lock set from Aircraft Spruce.

I thought it would be better to only have to carry a single key around, so i changed out the cabinet lock for the Aircraft Spruce one. To my surprise, the AS one has a good bit of play in it, thus it jiggles around. It only has a cheap copper lock washer holding things together. I did my best to make it better, but i was left wondering why the heck i bothered to make the change.

I bought my lock(s) from Home depot cabinet department, I used the arm from Vans fusellage kit and it fit with no issues.
For anyone out there who needs the locks, save the money the ones at Lowes/HD are the same "aircraft" quality as the Spruce ones. Keys are easier to get made too!

Aaaaaah..... all becomes clear. Looks like it finally has been fixed. I have to say I am not particularly happy with my home-made welded latch holding my baggage door closed in flight. I'll get the new latch when I next place an order.

Back