What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage area shelf

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Has anyone built a baggage compartment shelf that runs from the rear seat cross support to the aft bulkhead? Looking for ideas. Needs to support a couple weekend travel bags.

shelf

we did build a shelf but it's covered with avionics components. correction. we built a shelf behind the baggage bulkhead. not what you asked.

Rear seats will be out. I have two Montague folding bikes I converted to E bikes. One takes up the baggage area, the other the rear seat area. A shelf in the baggage area would allow me to take the bikes in and out without moving the bags and gear to access the bikes.

Like this?

Cam locks on the original back bulkhead. Can open when extension needed.

Don’t know if I would put much weight back there. It’s more for light soft items like sleeping bags and coats to something long like a shotgun or fishing poles. I haven’t calculated the W&B yet but I’m probably limiting it to 15 pounds.

Attachments

• IMG_5927.jpg
    IMG_5927.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5926.jpg
    IMG_5926.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5928.jpg
    IMG_5928.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Yes.

Built it apx 40% middle that raised up, 30% each side that were fixed.

Entire unit could be removed also, by pulling the hinge pins at the bulkhead. Shelf then dropped down and out through the baggage door. Hinge at bulkhead was only for mounting the shelf. Due to the fact the cabin top tapers inward, you can not open the shelf upward if it is full width.

Attachments

• RV 10 baggage shelf.jpg
    RV 10 baggage shelf.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Mike, more what I was thinking. Did you need stiffeners for those panels.

Yes, I used 4 pieces of angle, running fore/aft, two at the edges of the center opening, and two outboard of them.

You can zoom in a bit and see the inner ones that provide a landing surface for the lift up door, and the other angle is where the clecos are.

Attachments

• RV 10 Baggage shelf 2.jpg
    RV 10 Baggage shelf 2.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 73
Webb, I was told early on during my build that the baggage bulkhead is a structural member. You might want to run your mod past Vans

I also just noticed that the poster was on a 10. Mine is on an 8. My bad.

That being said, I did run it by tech help.

It will be closed 99% of the time and cam locks replace the screws. Even when used, it will be closed unless it’s for a long item. The recommendation was don’t do any high G maneuvers without it closed. Support did say the baggage floor is an important structural piece. Do not fly without it in place.

Also, the next aft bulkhead had a cover added which helps when the other cover is open.

I don’t know if any of this applies to a 10 but I guess it could.

Attachments

• IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Back