What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage area dimenions?

DCat22

Well Known Member
Didn't have much luck searching, but I could just be having a moment. :)

Does anyone have the "square" baggage area dimensions of the 7? (ie. without the forward slant at the front.)

This is in the context of a dog crate... One of the basic requirements of the better half for having a plane, is that we can take ourselves away from a Houston hurricane in it, if desired...but with pets. (And I might consider some sort of purpose built "dog area insert" for this purpose instead of a crate, as the pup is happy in planes. The cat of course would be fully contained in his little satchel at all times.)

Thanks much!

The size is listed as 12 cu/ft on the website with the dimensions appoximately 40"w x 36"h. Are you looking to put a crate in there to sequester the animal? If so, why not simply adapt a crate lid to the area by trimming/hinging it to fit? That will allow the entire area to be used as animal stowage....:rolleyes:

40"w x 36"h.

Thanks! Probably missed that somewhere... I saw the cu/ft number, just not that one...

Are you looking to put a crate in there to sequester the animal? If so, why not simply adapt a crate lid to the area by trimming/hinging it to fit? That will allow the entire area to be used as animal stowage....:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'll probably do something like that... Some sort of pan and divider I can drop in. :)

Thanks! Probably missed that somewhere... I saw the cu/ft number, just not that one...

Yeah, I'll probably do something like that... Some sort of pan and divider I can drop in. :)

That's just an estimation based on the dimensions shown on the specifications page. My numbers are probably an overestimation by a few inches...I'd think the length might be 18"....

Don't forget, if you intend on removing a seat to get the crate in the back, that there is a bar behind the seats that will restrict the vertical size of the crate that you can get into the baggage area along with the flap mechanism which will restrict the width of the crate. Also, depending on if you have a slider or tip-up will also restrict the size of the crate/luggage that can be gotten over the seats and into the baggage area. Depending on the size requirements it might be that making your own crate/partition may be the best option.

Like Bill says above, scope it out closely because even though you have a good bit of room back there, you must still be able to get it in there and the seatback bulkhead/flap motor box does not move...the tipper also has the rollbar that reduces the free area to pass things thru.

Don't forget, if you intend on removing a seat to get the crate in the back, that there is a bar behind the seats that will restrict the vertical size of the crate that you can get into the baggage area along with the flap mechanism which will restrict the width of the crate. Also, depending on if you have a slider or tip-up will also restrict the size of the crate/luggage that can be gotten over the seats and into the baggage area. Depending on the size requirements it might be that making your own crate/partition may be the best option.
The size of the item you can get into the baggage area will be restricted by the opening you have available. Even though the space is large, the actual opening into that space is limited by the height of the top of the seat and the leading edge of the canopy or the roll cage if you have a tip-up.

So, in order to enjoy the benefits of both the slider and the tip-up while not having to deal with a small opening to the baggage area, I decided not to settle on either side of the fence of that debate. I opted to install the slider/tip-up conversion. Now I can tip my slider up and insert any size item in the baggage area from above.

There are a couple of designs to choose from. Here is a link to the conversion I used:
http://www.jrwengineering.com/rvinfo.html

Here is a link that will allow you to purchase the above design or the original design (scroll to the bottom of the page to see the slider/tip-up conversions):
http://www.aircraftextras.com/

Last edited:
...and some crates...

...can be disassembled, placed in the aircraft, and then be reassembled in the baggage area.

A little while ago I saw a picture of someone that put a baby carriage into the cargo department. It was all build in and very safe looking. Does anyone know the specs of it, or have that picture ? It looked great.

Back