What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bag numbers in kit?

sblack

Well Known Member
The 25 yr old project I purchased has a list of numbered bags in the parts list. But I can't figure out what the correlation is between these bags and where the parts in the bags go. One bag has 5 different nuts in it, so they all must be used in one specific place, but I'll be darned if I can figure out where. Any ideas?

If it's anything like my RV12 kit, you'll have different parts, sizes of parts, etc. sometimes contained in the same bag. Also, they don't always pertain to a certain step or chapter in the build manual and they don't always get used at the same time. So, I'd say what you're finding is normal for an RV kit. Just hold on to the parts list and maybe organize your bags in order so you can find what you're looking for when the time comes.

No, the contents of any given bag do not correlate to any particular task you may be working on. The bags are used by Van's to group smaller parts in "easy" to manage inventory lists. In your kit documentation, you should have a multi page listing of bag numbers, and under each bag number you will find the part numbers and quantities of each item listed for that bag number. You will not have all the bag numbers that are listed. That particular listing is for all numbered bags that Van provides for the entire fleet of his aircraft.

Also, your documentation list BOM ( Bill of Materials) will list which bag numbers are included with your particular kit.

So, if you are so inclined, determin which bags are included with your kit, then inventory each bag against the listing for the bag contents.

No, the contents of any given bag do not correlate to any particular task you may be working on. The bags are used by Van's to group smaller parts in "easy" to manage inventory lists. In your kit documentation, you should have a multi page listing of bag numbers, and under each bag number you will find the part numbers and quantities of each item listed for that bag number. You will not have all the bag numbers that are listed. That particular listing is for all numbered bags that Van provides for the entire fleet of his aircraft.

Also, your documentation list BOM ( Bill of Materials) will list which bag numbers are included with your particular kit.

So, if you are so inclined, determin which bags are included with your kit, then inventory each bag against the listing for the bag contents.

Ok, so that's fine for inventory, but I doesn't help me determine where a particular part goes. So I'm on my own for that? If I have parts left over.....just look for empty holes I guess?:p

Thanks

The instructions and the plans are where it tells you where the parts go. Follow the instructions, look at the plans, find the parts, put them together. That's a much simplified set of steps, but you get the idea.

This is common across the RVs, as best as I can tell. My 2012 RV-3B hardware came that way and so did a very recent RV-10 QB that I inventoried.

In both cases, I put the hardware in bins, sorted by part number. I labeled each bin. The labeling and the sorting took several hours but since the plans specifies what hardware is to be used, it's very easy to find it.

Dave

Back