What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffling

acwrench

Wondering if anyone came across this before! Working on Vans baffle kit for the IO-320 install and in the area of the back wall at the #3 cylinder area. Van's calls out a hole and doubler in this area and nothing in the engine to screw it to! (the hole isn't there). Is drilling and tapping into the Lycoming block acceptable? The area is where the upper right mount bolt attaches the motor mount. Is it strong enough to have a hole with a screw beside it? There is no other securing hardware in this area and the baffle will be loose with out air pressure on it. Any thoughts?
P9020010.jpg

P9020007.jpg

Pat in Calgary, AB

Last edited:
I am not at the airport but mine does have a screw in the hole and it is a phillips head and maybe a 1/4 inch diameter from looking at the picture. I am assuming there is a tapped hole in the case. I'll look in the morning if you don't get an answer tonight

Hmmm....I am not near the hangar right now, but our new IO-320 had the hole right there - I believe it is a 1/4" (Course thread) like most of the baffle mounting screws on the Lyc.

Who made your case? Mattituck built our engine from a Lycoming kit

Your big hole isn't centered on the mounting bolt.

Is it possible that there is a blind 1/4-20 tapped hole about 3/8 inch towards the engine centerline of the present baffle hole location?

Perhaps a bit more trimming is needed on the rear baflle piece.

Just checked to see if the hole was closer into the centre line as you suggested and it's not there. I guess this install didn't have one. ( Engine was out of a Twin Comanche?) ( Yes, I did change the sump from an aft facing one, that's another story!!!!)

Back