What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffling.

Pounder

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Fun subject for the stand up…

But seriously, during removal of my 0-360. I observed builder’s liberal use of RTV between baffling and engine. Is this typical and necessary for effective air control?

Thanks

I think the goal is to seal up all the places that air can get through, so whatever it takes to do that would be okay. I just did this on my RV-10 and used quite a bit of RTV in some spots. The other option would be to replace the baffling and custom fit it to the contours of your engine so that you’d have minimal gaps to fill. If the baffles are in good shape, it’s probably easier just to use a little more RTV where needed.

I agree with Keith. My twist instead of applying huge gobbs of RTV is to cut a small filler piece that is better contoured to the case. Glue the filler piece to the baffle plate with a bit of RTV, than apply a small bead of RTV to final seal things up.

Part of the problem using RTV on engine baffles is that most use High temp red and spread it out like it was roofing tar, and make mess of the application.

CLEAR RTV can be used on baffles and will almost disappear when compared to red RTV. Clear RTV is good to 400* and is no problem on engine cases.

For a clean look, you can shape applied RTV with a wet finger and make it look like it belongs there.

You can also use foil tape to close off big gaps (any gaps) to see changes. It can also be used to block off fins to alter cooling air flow to hotter cylinders. One or two layers will last for years depending on location.....
foil tape.JPG

Can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot.

RTV seals

You can also make nice seals by impregnating fiberglass.
Squeegee it over plastic. Allow to cure or just apply it wet.

One way to make it look nice is to mask the areas with 3M fine line tape or similar and use the black RTV. You can get a neat, clean black band if you put some effort into it.

Thanks everyone

For sure, need to seal up as mich as feasible.

Starting with well built and good fit as is.

Some great suggestions here. I appreciate it.

Permatex UltraBlack at the auto parts store, or Loctite 598 (same product) from an industrial supplier. Charcoal grey in color, excellent adhesion, shrugs off oil.

Back