What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffling Baffles

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
Hello All,

I'm building a 7A with a 200hp IO360-A1A which has the horizontal induction. This also means I'll be using the snorkel. I've got the rear and side engine baffles just about right. I've got a large oil cooler mounted to my firewall and SCAT hoses and cooler hoses installed. That' s the part I have more or less understood what I was doing. Now I have started on the nose pieces (Inlet Floors) but I don't really understand the fit/dimensions I am going for up in the cowling nostrils, nor for the snorkel or the overall fit in the cowling.

Should the baffles on the nostril floors be cut back about 3/8" and even with the lower nostril fiberglass floors? Also on the vertical sides of the nostrils, how far forward should the side baffles ride into the side of the nostril? How does the rubber baffle material ride in this horizontal nose area? ie riveted to cowling and overlapping the inlet floors? How much overlap, etc. Just when I'm nearing completion and feeling more like an expert the baffles come along and now I'm back to a baffled novice.

Any good pics to refer me to? The instructions and drawings are not extremely clear to me of the best fit in the nose of the cowling once things are all put together. I just want to get this together cause I'm ready to start her up!

Much Thanks!

Ben, I have a couple of pics that might help you. If you will PM me your email, I will send them to you.... I was baffled too when I got to this part! The main problem I had is I had no other plane to look at. Lucky for me, that was the same time as Air Venture 2014 in Oshkosh and as soon as I got there, I hurried to Vans display where they had a horizontal induction plane and I started snapping pictures all up inside the nostrils! I can send those pics to you also. I'm not that far from you, just 35 miles East of Midland if your ever in the area and want to look at my plane. Or I can text you a pic if you need me to take one. I have a IO360 horizontal induction.

Back