What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle to Cowl Gap

Rolly9

Van's Baffle Installation Guide sez: 3/8" min - 1/2" max between the baffles and the cowl. Everyone I have talked with (two people, and 8 and a 6a) sez: about 1" is the right gap. If its less, the baffles will hit the cowl upon engine start up and shut down. How about it, folks? What is your experience. I am ready to fight the baffles. THX
Rolly Clark FWF RV-9

baffle clearance

Rolly,
I made the following measurements on my plenum installation. Areas in red have made contact during start-up or shut-down.
CowlClearance.jpg

My recommendation would be 7/16" to 5/8" with maybe 3/4" absolute max. If the gap is much bigger than this, the baffle material will tend to turn back the wrong way.

Agree with Mel.

The only area where I had to make allowance for engine shake on startup and shutdown was the left side of the airbox. I trimmed the bottom corner of the airbox and re-glassed it due to it hitting the cowl airscoop.

With the recommended clearance per Mel above, you should have no issues with the baffles hitting the cowl.

Regards,

Baffle/Top Cowling Gap

Quote from the great man himself (Tony Bingelis on Engines P 67) ""Trim the top edges of the baffles to approximate the curvature of the top cowling ... so as to create a 1/2" gap (3/4" maximum)".

Regards

Bob Ellis
www.rv-8.co.uk

Back