What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle re-enforcement question...

ccarter

Well Known Member
Hey Boys and girls,

I'm finishing up the baffles this weekend. I'm about to put the rubber seal on. I built these OEM all the way but I can't get the nagging thought out of my head where some have reported baffles cracking around the oil cooler. Some say no problem, others have had to re-enforce while others re-enforced during primary construction. It appears some of the later model baffle kits have been upgraded to add a spacer on the outside edge where the oil cooler hangs (mine included). It is stronger but the right hand side where the cool mounts (viewed facing forward) still seems a bit wobble prone. I'm considering a piece of re-enforcment angle to add some strength to the back of the baffles themselves which would also strengthen the area around the cooler. I've attached a photo of what I am proposing with a piece of angle (.063) just clamped up there for discussions sake. Obviously I would need to cut, trim and position it in some kind of appropriate way.

I have three concerns I can think of right way:

1. Disrupting any kind of airflow in there could raise the temps across the board?
2. Is there enough room to do this, have it really help and still have room to blind rivet the rubber seal?
3. I've also wondered if I might actually end up making it worse by altering the stress loads and pushing them off to an area of the baffles that
was unexpected, the resulting metal fatigue thereby creating stress cracks in an unintentional way and location.

Your building experience and commentary would be much appreciated..

Thanks!

baffle1.jpg

Chris,

Like you, I was very concerned about baffle cracking, because I had spent years trying to stop the baffles on my certified Grumman in one piece - I didn't want to have that headache on the RV! I looked at a bunch of folk's web sites at the time, and reinforced a bit here and there, but the thing I did that made the oil cooler mount the most solid was to put in a brace from the top right corner of the oil cooler area to a boss on the engine case (diagonally). (Look at Bill VonDane's RV-8 site, or maybe Checkoway's.) I used a piece of 4130 steel tubing, and this rigidized the whole thing remarkably well. No cracks anywhere at 730 hours!

Paul

Back