What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle Questions

szicree

Well Known Member
Boy, they sure named these things correctly! My first question should be easy for those that have gone before. On the left aft bulkhead there is supposed to be a bolt that runs fore/aft that attaches the baffle to the engine case. The bolt that was supplied is a 4A-15 and the plans call for a small spacer. But even with the spacer that bolt is about an inch too long. Obviously I can get a smaller bolt, but I'm just curious if I'm missing something. Now onto the harder question. Where should I put my oil cooler? My understanding is that it can go on the backside of the number 4 baffle, on the firewall, or ??

szicree said:
Boy, they sure named these things correctly! My first question should be easy for those that have gone before. On the left aft bulkhead there is supposed to be a bolt that runs fore/aft that attaches the baffle to the engine case. The bolt that was supplied is a 4A-15 and the plans call for a small spacer. But even with the spacer that bolt is about an inch too long. Obviously I can get a smaller bolt, but I'm just curious if I'm missing something. Now onto the harder question. Where should I put my oil cooler? My understanding is that it can go on the backside of the number 4 baffle, on the firewall, or ??

"Where should I put my oil cooler?" Gee Steve, why don't you just ask something simple, like "where should the third wheel go?" :p

for what it's worth, I'm pretty happy with the mount behind the #4 Cylinder - but I put a tremendous amount of reinforcing into it - I basically stole every good idea I got from other builder's web sites, and did them ALL. No cracks or motions after 535 hours....I had a firwall mount on my old Grumman, and never felt it cooled very well - but it was poorly instrumented, so don't take that as meaning anything relative to RV's.

On that long bolt - wait until you have built some of the rest of the baffle system before figuring out exactly where the aft baffles are going to rest. You might find that spacer to be much longer than you thought. I built the sides first, then the front ramps, and then the aft bulkheads, and everything kept shifting position until I was finished.

Roughly 100 of the 1000 hours it took to build my plane were spent on the baffles....

Paul

Ironflight said:
<SNIP>
Roughly 100 of the 1000 hours it took to build my plane were spent on the baffles....
Paul

Does it really take that long? 100 hours? It is just around the corner for me, I was looking at it and thought it kind be that long???

Oil Cooler

Steve - I put my cooler on the baffle on the -9a, but I dont plan to do that on the -4. No final decisions yet but I may well do something like this
http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools When you get there click on 'engine installation' and go to the third picture down.

When I get that far I would like to see if I can attach it at 3 points to two different engine mount bars with Adel clamps.

Just an idea, Steve.

oil cooler

Make sure that if you mount the cooler on rear of baffles that it is low enough to have clearance from top cowl cheek, I put mine on as per the earlier drawings and have had to rework to get the needed clearance. :)

RudiGreyling said:
Does it really take that long? 100 hours? It is just around the corner for me, I was looking at it and thought it kind be that long???
Just coming to the end of my RV6 baffles. They are looking good but I can confirm that they took a long time and were a right royal pain in the bahooky!
I'll post pics when I can - and the bolt does need to be much shorter :)
Jim Sharkey
RV6 Tip-up FP O360-A1A

Not on baffle

Steve Sampson said:
Steve - I put my cooler on the baffle on the -9a, but I dont plan to do that on the -4. No final decisions yet but I may well do something like this
http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools When you get there click on 'engine installation' and go to the third picture down.

When I get that far I would like to see if I can attach it at 3 points to two different engine mount bars with Adel clamps.

Just an idea, Steve.

This is correct........lay the oil cooler back at around a 45 degree angle attached to a plate that is held on to the motor mount tubes as in the picture. My buddys -4 has his on the rear baffle and only half of it shows because it's so low to clear the top cowl cheek. Remember that the -4's cheek cowls are a lot closer than the other models, including the -8. All the other models have enough room to hang the cooler on the rear bafffle.

Regards,
Pierre

Oil Coller Location

Hi Steve
I put mine up front of #2 cylinder
I can install tape in the winter without de-cowling
I can see any cracks and it cools great. Here is a Link

jsharkey said:
Just coming to the end of my RV6 baffles. They are looking good but I can confirm that they took a long time and were a right royal pain in the bahooky!
I'll post pics when I can - and the bolt does need to be much shorter :)
Jim Sharkey
RV6 Tip-up FP O360-A1A

bafflesfh9.jpg

oilcooler1yy0.jpg

oilcooler2vd7.jpg

Above is my standard factory baffle installation for my RV6 O360-A1A
Oil cooler mount is on rear baffle behind #4 cylinder per drawings with all recommended reinforcement. It also has the new CB-705B Oil Cooler Brace that boxes and reinforces the top edge of the baffle here. In addition this part straightens out the nasty step here and should make the airseal easier to fit.

I did jog the RH rear baffle so that it would line up with the rear mount bracket and LH rear baffle. Couldn't make it work otherwise.

Jim Sharkey

Back