What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

baffle question

titanhank

Well Known Member
i just bought an engine for my 7a. it is an 0-360-a1d that came out of an rv-6 with 120 smoh. does anyone know if the baffles from an rv-6 will work on the rv-7 cowling? i have the entire firewall forward from the 6 and would like to use as much of it as possible. thanks in advance for you time.

hank

It's quite possible it will fit. It is also possible that baffeling from one 7 to another won't, due to construction variations. But I would hazzard a guess that it could be trimmed and new seal material could be fashioned for a fit. Most certainly keep it on 'til you fit the cowl to it, or pull it off, preserving it for later installation. There is a lot of fitting to the engine, so you already have that done. fitting to the cowl should be very feasible, with little or no modification. As long as it is in good shape keep it. If not, use it for patterns for new baffeling.

Roberta

The long and short of it...

i just bought an engine for my 7a. it is an 0-360-a1d that came out of an rv-6 with 120 smoh. does anyone know if the baffles from an rv-6 will work on the rv-7 cowling? i have the entire firewall forward from the 6 and would like to use as much of it as possible. thanks in advance for you time.

hank

Hank... there might be a difference in the cowl length. Do you know if the RV-6 had a "short" or a "long" cowl?

This would affect the forward end of the baffles where they meet the air intakes.

IIRC, most (all?) -7s are equivalent to the short RV-6 cowl (one that would use a 2.25 inch spacer if it's a FP prop)

gil A

Last edited:
this engine came from a pre-1994 long cowl plane. it has a 4" prop spacer installed that i am going to remove. i know the baffles are too long in the front and will have to be trimmed, but i think it should not be to hard if the rest of the baffles are the same. i am going to have the 4" spacer, aymer-demuth prop, spinner and bolt kit for sale shortly if anyone needs it really cheap. i am planning on installing a sensenisch fp prop. thanks for the info.

Back