What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle penetration

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi folks,

I have to penetrate my rear baffle for a couple of wires (to LSE coils) and for the AFP purge valve control. I need to line the holes with something for seal and anti-chaff. I don't really know how hot the baffles get. I am talking about two or three 1/4 to 3/8 holes. Should I line these with rubber grommets, snap bushings or something else? Rubber grommets would be the best solution except I was worrying about them melting. I searched this a couple of ways and couldn't come up with an answer. Thoughts?

Michael Wynn
RV 8 FWF
San Ramon, CA

The rubber grommets will be fine; after all, the baffle seal material is also fiber reinforced rubber. There are some special fittings for this, but I just went with the grommets.

After using the rubber grommet.

Use high temp RTV to seal all holes (air leaks) in the baffles.

Kent

Seal

Cirrus uses some sort of black caulk-like material to seal the firewall. Looks easier/neater to work with than silicone. Anybody know what the stuff is?

Most likely it's....

Cirrus uses some sort of black caulk-like material to seal the firewall. Looks easier/neater to work with than silicone. Anybody know what the stuff is?

Black RTV. Most of my baffles were seal with the black kind. It has a lower temp. rating then the red and a lower cost. I used the red in a few places where I thought it might get hotter.

Kent

Back