What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Badlands Anniversary

petehowell

Well Known Member
As of this week, the old "ball and chain" and I have been married for 20 years and been together for over 25. 3 kids and lots of fun and some not so fun times later - we still dig each other.

Since the twins start college next year, the 3 week tour of Europe or 2 weeks in Hawaii were probably not gonna happen, but we could swing and few days in one of our favorite places, the Badlands National Park. Andi suggested this a few weeks ago, so I started planning the trip by my preferred method of travel.....RV... I located the closest strip, which turned out to be Wall, SD, home of Yup, you got it, Wall Drug. I was a bit bummed, b/c Airnav said no avgas and certainly no rental cars, but they did hint of some thing called Air Hon. This was enough to get me on the trail of one of the true gentlemen of Aviation, Dave Hahn. Dave is the Mayor of Wall, SD (26 years now) and really one heck of a guy. I did of bit of Googling and found his email - I wrote and told him that we wanted to visit Wall and the Park, but needed a car. We wrote back and told us to come on out and he would take care of us - his truck was available and he had gas in his hanger we could buy from him. Such a deal! We were set.

The weather in Minne on Friday was cloudy, cool and blustery 18G29 eek! But 50 miles west the skies were clear and inviting for the trip. Andi dosed up on Dramamine and was asleep before takeoff - it was bumpy, but not all that bad down at 3500ft. Once the skies cleared - it was up to 8500 for a smooth, cool, but slow trip to Wall(135 kts GS).

The Missou south of Pierre in the late afternoon sun was stunning...
Badlands%20007.jpg

The browns of the prairie contrasted the blues of the sky....
Badlands%20027.jpg

3 hours later, our first glimpse of sights soon to come - great shadows at sunset....
Badlands%20065.jpg

We landed at Wall and as we were getting out, Dave showed up on his Harley after hearing us on Unicom - he insisted on helping us tie down, gave us the lowdown on Wall, and the keys to his truck. Airplane people are the best!

My wife loved the Phone Booth at the airport....and the thousands of grashoppers
Badlands%20071.jpg

They also have tongue in cheek signs for "Short term" parking and the "Main Gate" It is very nice little strip!

We had a nice dinner and a beer in Wall and then called it a night at the Super 8 where we planned our day in the Park.

Up early, we headed into the park. Let the hiker beware....
Badlands%20074.jpg

This place is amazing - everyone should make the trip...
Badlands%20085.jpg

Badlands%20105.jpg

Badlands%20107.jpg

Andi made a new friend...
Badlands%20134.jpg

The colors are simply amazing....
Badlands%20158.jpg

Continued in part 2.....

Last edited:
Badlands Part 2

After hiking most of the day, we stopped to see the movie on the Minuteman Missiles just off the interstate. The ranger there talked us into visiting the only preserved Minuteman Missile Silo about 20 miles away. We were glad we did - it was very interesting!

Badlands%20189.jpg

The tour is self-guided on your cell phone -

Badlands%20190.jpg

We drove back into town and had an nice dinner, then we ventured back into the park for the "dark skies" astronomy program led by Ranger Larry - a Texan. Very humorous and informative! Almost right on queue, the the ISS flew right over in the middle of the program. There were large telescopes set up for viewing - it was a great evening. Back to the Super 8, we called it a night.

Up early, we walked to the famous Wall Drug for breakfast. 5cent coffee, not bad! We filled the pickup, met Dave at the airport, got a little gas, and were soon back on our way home - tailwinds at 9500 made the trip go fast. I think she had a good time........

Badlands%20195.jpg

We'll be back to visit Dave and the Park again - We enjoyed a great weekend and made a new friend.

Nice write-up Pete and congratulations to you and your wife on 20 years of marriage!

Great Trip Report

Pete, great trip report and magnificent photos. How you got the truck is great advice for cross-country flyers. I laughed out loud at the "ball and chain" line! ... Bill

P.S. I think you should include a picture of the infamous Wall Drug!

Last edited:
Good pictures and report

Wish I could have seen a picture of Wall Drug Store...because: Wife & I flew to Hot Springs, SD, last Sept for Vetterman's Bad Lands Flyin. Next day we took off behind J Pratt to visit Wall. As soon as we were airborne, airspeed went to 0 because of crud in pitot tube--so had to return & work on Gallo del Cielo...missed the visit to Wall--a BUMMER.
Thanks for your pics & write-up,
Chuck Imken

Back