What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bad news with master on (smoke)

mcems

Well Known Member
I received my firewall forward harness today. I completed all the conections. I turned on the master and smoke started coming out of the regulator/rectifier. I sure hope its a bad regulator. It was my worst nightmare to see that happen. Checked and double checked the wiring before hand. Everything seems right. I shut it down right away. I think a new regulator is going to cost about $170.00 . The only fuse that blew was the EFIS fuse. All other are ok.

I sure hope it didnt cause other problems.

Brad Stiefvater
Salem SD

I know where I'd put my money

Sorry Brad ! These regulators are very good. There is something else wrong. I don't have mine, but I hope you find the problem. I don't think I'll turn mine on until I hear from you or others first. Sorry again.

John Bender

I sure hope somebodys got some ideas . I was feeling really good today knowing I might be able to do the first startup this weekend. Now am really down wondering what **** happened . If its just a bad regulator No problem but the EFIS fuse blowing has got me worried.

Brad Stiefvater
Salem SD

I sure hope somebodys got some ideas . I was feeling really good today knowing I might be able to do the first startup this weekend. Now am really down wondering what **** happened . If its just a bad regulator No problem but the EFIS fuse blowing has got me worried.

Brad Stiefvater
Salem SD

Don't worry about it tonight, nothing you can do about it now. Call Vans in the AM and please keep us posted on the cure or ways to check the systems.

Sorry man, someone had to throw the switch first and let the smoke Genie out. ;)

Brad

Sorry about your "smoke". I'm curious as well. I have been running mine without the Rotax harness so that I could test all the other stuff. Obviously that means two of the regulator holes are still empty on mine. I grounded the master relay/solenoid with a piece of wire to make it all work. All of my avionics worked as advertised except the trim. I pulled those pins out of the d-sub and put them to the battery itself and they worked fine...so either the board is wierd or I have em in the wrong holes. I will definitely be interested to see what happens with the Rotax harness installed.

I was going to suggest you try it without the Rotax harness but you said you burned up the regulator?

Sorry Brad ! These regulators are very good. There is something else wrong. I don't have mine, but I hope you find the problem. I don't think I'll turn mine on until I hear from you or others first. Sorry again.

John Bender
We have found the Rotax 912 series regulator to be fairly flakey, although I haven't heard of one smoking. They can be replaced by a standard Ducati motorcycle part.

TODR

Brad,

Very sorry to hear.

There is a nice but simplified drawing of the electrical system on page 17-17 of the maintenance manual.

Please keep us up to date. Thanks.

Brad,

When you removed the connector from the regulator were there any burn marks on the pins of the regulator or the spades of the connector? Also, could one of the pins on the regulator have bent over into contact with another pin? I've noted it's really hard to seat this connector and it doesn't give much feedback that you are seated. I reported this via email to Vans on Friday.

-Neil Cormia
RV-6 (bought used, rebuilt panel)
RV-12 (helping the guys with kit #2)

Back