What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bad CNC Punched Hole

boom3

Well Known Member
I have one factory punched hole on my bottom wing skin that does not line up at all with the hole in the spar. Every other hole is perfect. (I wonder if the CNC punch was hungover or something. :eek: )

If I drill it I will either figure 8 the skin or the spar hole.

If I go to a 4 size rivet I think it will be too close to the edge.

Never a shortage of things to think about. :D

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

punch2.jpg

punch1.jpg

mis-punched hole

I have the same problem on the LH wing bottom skin except the offending hole is on the rear spar.

Not sure how to deal with this.

Maybe a call to Van's is in order.

I've not encountered this before. I've always marveled at the precise fit of Van's parts.

Something must have gone wrong somewhere.

Anybody else? Ideas?

Dave

One rivet...not a big deal. Deal with it anyway you like. Now if it were a string of rivets..........

A reasonable repair would be to drill new holes on either side of the "bad" hole, while maintaining edge distance. When it is time to paint, a dab of Proseal, JB Weld, or Bondo could be used to fill the bad hole.

Alternately, you could drill the bad hole to 3/32 and countersink it for a lightly set cheater rivet. And still add new holes on either side.

Nobody will ever notice either repair and both are structurally sound.

I have built a totally pre punched 7a kit, a 6a that had no pre punch anything, and now a 8 that has pre punched skins but not understructure. If it was me dealing with this problem, i would remove the skin, and then take a piece of metal and match drill it to the spar. I would then take this pattern and cleco to the skin and drill the hole in the skin to match the spar. i know the hole will be oblong and not proper, but this is one hole among hundreds on the bottom of the wing. Then dimple the oblong hole on the end where it matches the spar hole. drive the rivets. Then get some 5 minute epoxy or some other filler material, (jb weld) and fill in the part of the hole that the rivet does not occupy. if you catch the epoxy at just the right time, you can shave it off with a safety razor blade flush with the skin. Once the plane is painted you will have to look very closely to find it.

steve ciha

Backdrill

If you can get an angle drill back inside the wing and backdrill using the pre punched hole in the spar, and just fill in the pre exsisting hole with some filler.

Back